Main Menu

Over Charging Issues - Battery Issue? Update

Started by Cudajason, September 18, 2021, 02:16:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Quote from: YellowThumper on September 29, 2021, 08:17:56 AM
Hope the green wire fixes the issue.
If not then check the voltage you are receiving from the blue wire. It needs to be virtually identical to the battery.
Cannot show exactly what I did on mine because most all wiring is now altered.
Fix though is to us a clean connection anywhere you can grab one that will represent what battery/alt will be supplying. That then will connect directly to the vreg blue wire. Relay in blue wire (#30 - #87 terminals on 5 pin relay) that is triggered to turn on with ignition. This provided clean signal to control voltage. Fyi I am controlling a Magnum alt with old vreg.

Yeah I hope so to.  Once it is all back together, I will check the voltage to the blue wire before I get to much further.  I figure with a busted wire there is not much sense in checking much until I fix that.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

MoparLeo

I mentioned the venting because the vent tube is missing. Its purpose is to vent the gases ( they are always there when the alternator is charging) away from the battery connections ( it is an explosive gas and corrosive as you have seen) and away from the top of the engine compartment. Just like the overflow on your radiator does. Directs the excess coolant down and away from the engine. Or just put a more proper type battery in there.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Cudajason

HEY FOLKS! 

I am back!  Wow what a fun couple of weeks...been dealing with some staffing issue at work and just have note had the time to deal with the car.

I managed to pop out the small gauge plugs in the VR plug adn add in new plugs with the large gauge wire so the gauge all matches.

I also cleaned all of the connections etc.

I fired it up yesterday, and initially the volt gauge was still reading at 16 plus  :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: As it idled away for min or so, the Volt gauge dropped back to around 12...so I think I am good.

I hope to get it out this weekend for a spin.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

Put a meter on your system voltage. 12vdc is too low. But it might just be your gauge being a little off.
I'm happy when it is around 13.6 to 14.4v. with the engine running.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on October 15, 2021, 07:29:48 AM
Put a meter on your system voltage. 12vdc is too low. But it might just be your gauge being a little off.
I'm happy when it is around 13.6 to 14.4v. with the engine running.

I will double check...to be honest I was going off memory, I will check everything over the weekend.

Cudajason

Ok. Had a little drive today.

Looks like I am right around 14.5 volts at speed.

Jay Bee

Congrats, love hearing a success story. Finding that damaged wire on the VR plug was a stroke of genius (or luck).

blown motor

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 29, 2021, 02:08:16 PM
Congrats, love hearing a success story. Finding that damaged wire on the VR plug was a stroke of genius (or luck).

Come on John, we know who we're dealing with here. It was luck all the way.  :pokeeye:  :Stirring:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

dodj

Quote from: blown motor on October 29, 2021, 07:38:07 PM

It was luck all the way.  :pokeeye:  :Stirring:
Huh...Tough crowd you run with Jason. lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Come on John, we know who we're dealing with here. It was luck all the way.  :pokeeye:  :Stirring:

Ouch fella ouch!

Quote from: dodj on October 30, 2021, 04:42:35 AM

It was luck all the way.  :pokeeye:  :Stirring:
Huh...Tough crowd you run with Jason. lol

Yeah no kidding!

LOL

73TopBanana

Hi all, Redtop Optima 13+ years still going strong...

70vert

Quote from: 73TopBanana on May 10, 2022, 08:50:24 AM
Hi all, Redtop Optima 13+ years still going strong...

Yep, me too. Optima/AGM is the only way to go unless you need an OEM look for show.

Not to take away from the amazing input and success of resolving the charging issue. What a great group  :cheers: