Main Menu

12V ignition source and how to plum Trans Cooler?

Started by temsinc, July 05, 2019, 11:16:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

temsinc

My name is Darcy. I am up here in Canada and I have 70 Barracuda w/318, 904 Auto. I am installing an aluminum radiator with dual electric fans. The wiring instructions say to wire into a 12v ignition source that can provide up to but not exceed 30amps. I am a little stumped as to where or what I can use for this.  :thinking:

Secondly, I am installing a transmission cooler as well. Do I connect the AT to the radiator and then to the AT cooler, or do I eliminate/bypass the radiator and use the AT cooler only?

Thank you I'm advance...

P.s. each 10" fan draws 11 amps each  :)

Darcy

1 Wild R/T

There is no chance I'd connect those fans directly to a switched ignition feed...  22 amps is a pretty significant load it needs to be fed by a relay....   

At that point you can tap into the blue field wire at the back of the alternator and attach it to pin 86 of the relay as your trigger, Tap into the big black wire on the back of the alternator as pin 30 on the relay, your power source, then you simply ground pin 85 through a temp switch & attach pin 87 to your fans....  Sounds complicated but really it's pretty simple...

temsinc

Not complicated at all...thank you 1 Wild R/T!!!  :drinkingbud: NASTOVIA!!!

Darcy

1 Wild R/T

Well if thats easy then maybe your up for a little upgrade?   The schematic shows a manual override toggle... Not a bad idea but what I would suggest is adding a timer circuit so the fans run for 5-10 minutes after you shut the engine off...

temsinc

Would one wire said timer circuit where the manual override toggle would be? Where would one source such a timer circuit? Thanks again.

Darcy :)

1 Wild R/T

I looked around some, most of the timers look to be made in China & not really suited for automotive use... I found this, the timer is built into the relay, only a 3 minute max delay, not ideal but easy & much better than nothing...

https://www.delcity.net/store/Time-Delay-Relays/p_804415.h_804416