Main Menu

Trans cooler

Started by 70 Top Banana, July 28, 2021, 08:04:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Top Banana

I have a question. Did the 70 T/A have an option for a transmission cooler? I don't think the T/A had that option. Mine has a trans cooler but it looks like it should be on the hemi. Even the trans lines look like they came on the car. I am getting to put my new Glen-Ray radiator and want it to be correct. Thanks for the help!

anlauto

I believe only Hemi cars had a trans cooler, I don't think it was available on anything else. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

If this is what the cooler looks like on your car, then someone other than the factory, installed a Hemi Tran$$$ cooler

70 Top Banana

Yes that is what it looks like. I didn't think a transmission cooler came on a T/A but it sure does look like it did. Thanks lines look great, mounting looks good.  Thanks!

mccannix

They would be a direct fit in any E-body with a 26 inch rad, but I cant see it coming that way.
My guess is someone had one from a Hemi E-body or 71 Hemi B-body and decided to add it for extra trans cooling.
If it is an original,  it a good $$$ item.
Just out of curiosity,  how early was your car built.

70 Top Banana

70 Top Banana

I am going to pull it  and take a look to see if I can find a part number, logo etc.. I think your right and it must have been a direct fit because it was done right. If it is an aftermarket piece, whoever did the work did a great job. Thanks!

mccannix

If its an original cooler or even reproduction,  this is the correct installation and what it would look like installed.
There are no numbers, symbols or markings on either reproduction or original.
Originals have aluminum tubes, reproduction are copper tubes.

70 Top Banana

Great and thanks for the information. It looks like the diagram. If anything it might not be as wide across :thinking: I have not taken it out yet and if I do I will need new lines. I am heading to the shop and will take another look. Thanks!!!

70 Top Banana

Hello mccannix, I took another look at the cooler. I am thinking it is an aftermarket trans cooler. It does not look as wide as the photos you sent over. It does mount like the pictures. The other think is the plumbing is not exactly like the photos. That said it was a very nice install. It is coming out. Thanks for all the help!