Main Menu

1970 Challenger A01 Light Option

Started by kent_goins, February 14, 2017, 10:02:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

I think Just Dashes offers them in black as standard and up sales for the Chrome?  But to get them back to Chrome you might have to work with some craft store silver / chrome pens?   :notsure: 

Quote from: headejm on February 17, 2017, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 16, 2017, 03:31:06 PM
1970 Dashes = Script

1971-1974 = Box with Text

On the 1970 dash, what do you use to "re-chrome" the Challenger script? On my dash, the script is dark.

screamindriver

Yes, the just dashes standard script is black...I did'nt know about the chrome upcharge would anyone really want the black script ???  You're right Cody I don't see much of an alternative for touch-ups other than a paint pen...The factory chrome script was'nt  too durable to begin with especially with a high traffic area like the dash pad....IIRC the ultimate ride's dash script is chrome on their offering...

Alan and Challenger6pak it does appear some 71s had the reverse light placement in the 70 location I've seen a few myself...I'm betting it's another assembly line change over that took a while for the workers to catch on with the early builds...You know mopars...Never say never when you think you've got it nailed down somebody posts a contradiction/anomaly.... 

EDIT:Confusing ??? I know I was...I need to slow down and type what I'm trying to say I've been getting too many typos the whole way through this thread...It's been a rough week at work guys sorry....

cataclysm80

I think most of the original chromed plastic items are actually vacumized aluminum.
http://www.muellercorp.com/metalizing-process.php

I'm not sure about the dash emblem though, since the finish seems to be only on the face and not on the sides, it may have been created with another method.

cataclysm80

Quote from: screamindriver on February 16, 2017, 08:22:29 PM
I should have a pic for the 71 placement of the rev. light let me know if you want me to pull it up..

Sure, that might be handy since people are curious.  :)

Husk Challenger

At the beginning of the thread you talk about the "title lamp" (the one on the far left of the light bar)

When does this lamp supposed to light up?

There was no bulb there in my car, i ve just put a new one and the lamp always lighting up... :thinking:
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

70/6chall

My Challenger script name emblem on passenger side of the dash pad was always black plastic. This of course is on my '70 Challengers dash pad. So since it came this way, I'll just keep it that way. My Dodge also came with a dash mounted seat belt light, that's in the area between the glove box door and ash receiver door. Just the seat belt light not the reverse light as shown.     Thanks,   Al

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Husk Challenger on November 15, 2017, 06:28:25 AM
At the beginning of the thread you talk about the "title lamp" (the one on the far left of the light bar)

When does this lamp supposed to light up?

There was no bulb there in my car, i ve just put a new one and the lamp always lighting up... :thinking:

It is powered by the timer relay...  Try unplugging the relay to see if it gos out.... It should go on when ever a door is opened & stay on after the door is closed for 30-45 seconds

The relays are still available, use to be a $5 part but now they seem to sell for $40 or more...

Husk Challenger

Thanks for the answer, i ll try it!

Maybe it works fine , i am not sure i waited for that time!  :thinking:

EDIT: After more than 1 minute the bulb is still ligthing up! So timer relay is probably dead..... :dunno:
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

6bblgt

@70/6chall all cars had the chrome dash script - the chrome wore off quickly, it is barely noticeable on some of the lowest mile survivors

70/6chall

Not sure here Dan (6bblgt), when I originally purchased the car, it did have 40K miles on it. And the Challenger emblem on pass. side dash pad was black in a burnt orange interior. No evidence of any chrome finish at all. When I changed out the burnt orange for a black interior, the OEM 3-speaker, non-a/c pad also had a black only "Challenger" emblem on the pass. side. Oh! By the way when the interior was burnt orange the seat belts and steering column were black.    Thanks,   Al

1 Wild R/T

Steering column & seat belts are supposed to be black when equipped with a standard dash... Rally cluster gets painted column & colored belts....

The original dash Challenger emblem was chrome, but the process used wasn't very durable at all, wiping it with windex would remove it completely...

badfish70

Quote from: kent_goins on February 14, 2017, 10:33:43 AM
yes that is the switch flood lamp...got that... There is another long lead with light that is a mystery

KG
what is this blue light for? and when does it light up?

Dakota

Where and how does the "map light" and it's on/off switch with the A01 group mount?  Any pics of one installed would be greatly appreciated. 

I've been transferring some of the old specialized accessory wires over a new M&H dash wiring harness and came across this light bulb socket and switch connection.   According the wiring diagrams, this is for the map light and switch.   I don't recall removing the components when I took the dash apart, so it appears these may have been part of the optional light package that wasn't installed.   This car originally had an automatic tranny with a console.

I found a map switch bezel and a switch on eBay - about $200 combined for both.  Ouch!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Dakota on July 01, 2018, 12:02:30 PM
Where and how does the "map light" and it's on/off switch with the A01 group mount?  Any pics of one installed would be greatly appreciated. 

I've been transferring some of the old specialized accessory wires over a new M&H dash wiring harness and came across this light bulb socket and switch connection.   According the wiring diagrams, this is for the map light and switch.   I don't recall removing the components when I took the dash apart, so it appears these may have been part of the optional light package that wasn't installed.   This car originally had an automatic tranny with a console.

I found a map switch bezel and a switch on eBay - about $200 combined for both.  Ouch!

A/C or non A/C?   Non A/C mounts to the lower dash frame  & A/C mounts to the plastic trim that hides the evaporator box....

Dakota

Yes to a/c.  Thanks Wild.  Hopefully there's a picture floating around somewhere.