Main Menu

1970 Challenger A01 Light Option

Started by kent_goins, February 14, 2017, 10:02:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kent_goins

sorry Cody...I type too fast...CUDA CODY.

Cuda Cody

1970 Dashes = Script

1971-1974 = Box with Text

kent_goins

kent_goins

TO ALL who are listening....
I would like a couple of C15 deluxe seat belts for the front seats if anyone has them

KG

screamindriver

Quote from: kent_goins on February 16, 2017, 03:19:40 PM
just one more thing...I heard 70 challenger dashes were different regarding the emblem. Do you have a pic of a 70 challenger dash emblem? Just trying to verify my build. The car saw some strange stuff in its day with accidents and parts being swapped out for other years. Trying to put the puzzle together as I go.

Additionally, I spoke with Cody about build sheets and there is a mystery of what happened to all those late 60's and 70's build sheets. Chrysler told me they had a fire in the warehouse that destroyed all of them...Cody aint so sure that's a fact. I would sure love to track down a build sheet for this car or a copy. Anybody want to chime in on that? I would be willing to go the extra mile to pay a air ticket and rifle through boxes to find my golden buildsheet ticket.

KG
The 70 challenger{and barracuda} had an inlaid,chrome highlighted, plastic script in the dash pad...Later years have a metal insert with the name imprinted on it....Here's a pic of a low mileage 70 challenger dash with the chrome script...And a pic of the later year metal insert...

I too heard about a fire that destroyed certain year records....Oddly enough some of the mid sixties data is still there but the musclecar years seem to be missing...Combine that with the near bankruptcy of the 80s where some critical tooling was sold off/scrapped and our chances of having the factory support like the fords and chevys went down the tubes... EDIT: Cody you beat me to it !! I had to go through too many files to find the pics... :bigthumb:

kent_goins

thanks screamindriver...you have been a great help!

screamindriver

cataclysm80

Off the top of my head, C15 is 1970 only, so you shouldn't see it in 1971 cars.

For this reason, the manual transmission reverse light on the dash is located differently between 70 and 71.
70 was positioned so that both lights could be mounted.
71 was a little more centered since it didn't need space for the other light.

Now if I could just find those old pics with measurements for each year...

screamindriver

Tav you're correct C15 was 70 only{belts changed in 71}Thanks,I've corrected it..... I edited my initial reply and some info was omitted/pieced together for the 70-71 reply section to what it was... I went back and corrected it...The C15 info is in a 1970 folder... I should have a pic for the 71 placement of the rev. light let me know if you want me to pull it up.. I'll post the 70 reverse light location since my 1970 folder is handy...

cataclysm80

Awesome, thanks for correcting and posting this pic!
Always great to have good info!
:)

anlauto

I have two original 4 speed dashes that I know to be original, one is a 70 the other a 71 in my shop right now.

Are you saying, if I go measure the reverse lights they'll be in different locations ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 16, 2017, 03:31:06 PM
1970 Dashes = Script

Alot of the factory replacement pads had NO script or text. They were plain generic for either model and just the same vinyl material covering this spot.  i don't have a pic handy, but you do see them from time to time.  A buddy of mine has one, NOS for an a/c car.

Tom

challenger6pak

Quote from: anlauto on February 17, 2017, 04:01:02 AM
I have two original 4 speed dashes that I know to be original, one is a 70 the other a 71 in my shop right now.

Are you saying, if I go measure the reverse lights they'll be in different locations ? :huh:

Please measure them and let us know what the difference is. My 71 was in the same place as my 70. Although I was not the original owner and I know the car had been apart. Anything can be changed over the years.

cataclysm80

Quote from: anlauto on February 17, 2017, 04:01:02 AM

Unless there's a weird production line error, or maybe something like early build 71 getting a 1970 version due to confusion about the change,  then Yes they should be different.
If you're sure they're original, measure them and let us know.

In 1970, all reverse lights were installed in the same location, and this location left room for the seat belt light as shown in the pics earlier in this thread.
In 1971, there was no dash mounted seat belt light, and the reverse light was moved closer to center of that panel.

If I remember correctly, the firewall grommet size for the reverse light also changed from 70 to 71.

headejm

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 16, 2017, 03:31:06 PM
1970 Dashes = Script

On the 1970 dash, what do you use to "re-chrome" the Challenger script? On my dash, the script is dark.