Main Menu

3-Speed wiper wiring. 70 Challenger

Started by Ramman, February 09, 2022, 02:03:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ramman

Founded a replacement 3-speed wiper motor for my 70 Challenger. I have five wires coming out of the motor. Four of which have no real color. One is green that goes to a soldered connection on the gearbox. The other three go to the bulkhead connector. The one that baffles me is the fifth one coming out of the motor does not seem to go anywhere. All the schematics I have only show four wires coming from the motor. It is stripped back about 3/8 of an inch and I can't tell if it went to one of the solder terminals on the gearbox or underneath the screw by the ground strap. Thanks Members!

Dakota

When I replaced the wiring on my wiper motor, these pictures collected from various sources on the internet were helpful.     If they don't do the trick, I can take some of my wiper motor but it'll be a minute or two as my car is tucked away for the winter.

Ramman

That is absolutely PERFECT! Just what I needed. I thought my "extra" wire went to the soldered connection, but at several hundred dollars each I didn't want to guess. I may post a picture later but there is no detectable color on 4 of my motor wires.
Thanks again!

Jay Bee

If you take it apart you might find some remnants of the colors under the barrel.

Dakota

Glad the pics meet your needs.   Please note that there is a ground strap for the wiper motor visible in several of the pictures.  If you need a replacement, I'd suggest buying here:

http://www.passion4mopars.com/Mopar-Small-Wiper-Motor-Components_c_9.html

It's been a while since I bought anything from Kim (female version of the name), but as of 2016 I was able to get the unique insulation and all of the other parts needed for my motor rebuild from her.   I had to contact her directly to get the items that weren't shown on the website.

Kim also has info on her website about bench testing wiper motors:

http://www.passion4mopars.com/blog.asp

Jay Bee

Here's a picture with locations of that "unique insulation".