Main Menu

73 AM radio

Started by fireguyfire, June 06, 2019, 11:33:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I was able to track down a nice working original AM radio for my 73 challenger.
I have a question regarding speaker hookup; the stereo has the factory dual spade type connector to connect the stereo to the dash speaker. In my car the dash speaker has been removed and my car has dual rear package tray speakers.
Is there a way to make the original stereo play through dual rear speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burdar

The factory used a fader switch when a rear speaker was ordered.  It mounts to the heater control panel.

fireguyfire

That makes sense.
What are the odds of tracking down a fader?

Rdchallenger

Quote from: fireguyfire on June 06, 2019, 02:10:06 PM
That makes sense.
What are the odds of tracking down a fader?

Instead of doing that, why not get a Bluetooth amp that you can mount under your seat or in the trunk, which you can then wire up to your speakers as well as keeping the factory AM radio.

fireguyfire

That would work except I would have to track down a working dash speaker and reinstall it to play the AM radio, as it sounds like a pain to make it play through both rear speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich G.

I would think you should be able to hook the 2 positives together and the 2 negatives together and connect them to the radio speaker wire. The radio doesn't know where the speaker is. Granted the factory radio doesn't have much power.

Rdchallenger

73_Cuda_4_Me

I made a dual speaker plate shaped like the original speaker shape (see the previous link), and purchased 2 3-1/2 inch rockford fosgate speakers, which have a lot more bass capability than the ones in the link or available through year one. They sound awesome! (Less than half the cost of the link speakers, too)

I replaced my original radio, though, so I have 4 speaker outputs...

If you try to hook original radio with single speaker output to 2 speakers in the rear by connecting both positives and both negatives, you risk damaging the output transistor on the radio - you are creating a 'parallel' circuit with a 2-ohm load instead of a 4 ohm load... less resistance equals more power draw on transistor output.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B