Main Menu

FM Radio

Started by kawahonda, July 18, 2018, 07:04:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Alright. I found a solution. This will give you FM radio, and Bluetooth all for under $100. Way cool.

1) Get this Cuthbert FM Radio + AM Transmitter. $57. Guys, you simply just do not find these anymore. They are literally extinct. It's been getting awesome reviews, and it's hand-built in CA buy a radiophille. Plus, it has a 1/8" jack so that you can plug any amount of goodies in it:
https://radiojayallen.com/cuthbert-fm-to-am-converter-mkii/

2) You'll need some way to power it as it needs at least 9V. $5. You can stick to battery operation, but IMO, that option doesn't "feel" like it's apart of the car. To my limited knowledge, the only way to power this is through a cigarette lighter. He has since confirmed that it works off 12V, so why not just wire it into the car with a fuse as another option?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3M-12V-DC-5-5mm-x-2-1mm-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Plug-Cord-Adapter-Cable/262693271801?hash=item3d29bd38f9:g:aNUAAOSwXeJYEbK8
--or---
https://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/30w1-01120.php?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=30W1-01120&utm_campaign=DC%20Power%20Socket%20to%20Bare%20Wire%2C%20DC%20Male%20to%20Open%20End%2C%202%20foot&gclid=CjwKCAjwoMPcBRAWEiwAiAqZh7e0QDMov70HoAby5rr67WZ24qe_gKYQZpIUO-7XX9B6YtyeC446ghoC7I8QAvD_BwE

3) Bluetooth Transmitter. $25. Sean states that the bluetooth transmitter should work great with his system. This to me is the ultimate in connectivity. As soon as you get in the car, you're connected. Plus THIS into the Aux port of the Cuthbert.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GVSXJN/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B073GVSXJN&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4b9303cf-595a-449a-b0d6-15d3b199056d&pf_rd_r=69S1DNHE58VMZNEYMT5Y&pd_rd_wg=EMnfL&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=sSD56&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=4c045c4c-b1f8-11e8-b9b0-b9c4745829eb

4) Additional USB ports. ~$10. You'll need an additional USB ports for plugging in the Bluetooth transmitter (so that it stays fully charged) but also an extra port or two for charging your phone. This is probably something you'd have to hard-wire in if you're using the cigarette lighter to power the Cuthbert. If you're not using the Cigarette lighter to power it, then you can simply just get a Cigarette USB Port charger. At any rate, I'm assuming there's a black-box kit of 2-3 USB ports somewhere out there that can mount easily under the dash.

With the above setup, you can have full functionality of your AM radio without cutting or anything. It will look super sleek.

Question, if I were to upgrade my dash speaker, would the "loudness" increase, or is that simply just how much watts the 2watt radio can push?

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Bullitt-

Quote from: kawahonda on September 06, 2018, 10:46:00 AM

Question, if I were to upgrade my dash speaker, would the "loudness" increase, or is that simply just how much watts the 2watt radio can push?

If we knew the sensitivity of both speakers we could make a more accurate assessment so just depending the newer one may not be as loud. Newer speakers are built to handle lot's more power but should sound ok at nominal levels., .. That's based on what I was told many years ago by folks in the industry..... Of course there's no law saying you can't add an amp.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

kawahonda

Yea. I was thinking about replacing the speaker if it increases the "loudness" with any of the aftermarket "drop-ins" that Classic Industries (or any other place) sells. They will probably sound better than the stock speaker. But like you said, "loudness" may not increase, and may even decrease. Sound quality would certainly increase. Would definitely want to keep with a single 4 x 10 speaker because I'm keeping it as a "primary".

With the Music Master 2w head unit, once you "hone in" on a good receptive station, your volume is going to be about 90% cranked for a really good volume level. This is while parked with the car off...you'll hear it good. But once the windows roll down, and you're driving at high enough speeds, and your passing someone with engine noise you'll probably not hear it as well. I'm suspecting that this is expected behavior for a 2watt system.

Either way, I'll keep you guys updated with this setup. I'll try to document each step. This is by far the best path I have seen for someone wanting to keep something original, gain functionality, and not spend $500 or more.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66