Main Menu

Fuel Sending Unit Ground Strap

Started by 69BFan, July 28, 2017, 11:22:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

69BFan

We have been reproducing the original short style fuel sending unit ground strap for over ten years.  Years ago, when parts could still be purchased from the Chrysler parts department, the available ground strap was the longer style.  Many people have asked us about reproducing the longer style strap which we have done now.  My question is:  what is correct for the E-Body applications?  Did they originally come with the short style or did it change within the production window to go to the longer style?  I have no ideal and hopefully someone with more knowledge than me, can clarify the situation.  I have attached a picture of the two styles.  The short one measures 3 5/8" and the the longer style measures 8 1/4" .  Any input will be appreciated.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

Cuda Cody

The double strap looks like a better way to do it, but I've only seen the shorter ones on E-Bodies.  I thought they were a bit longer then 3.625", but for sure not 8".  I will say that most of the cars I get already have the tank pulled out and that part is missing.

headejm

My original 1970 ground strap is 6" long with one "clamp" on each end.

Burdar

My 73 had the long strap.  I bought the short one and had to return it.  Here is a picture of "HooDs" 73 Cuda.  He is the original owner.  I think the car has fairly low miles as well.(long strap)
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii89/hooD340/CudaFuelSendingUnit2_zps78552185.jpg

Forgot to mention my car and "HooDs" car were built about a week apart in October of 72.

70/6chall

My original fuel ground strap on my early built '70 Challenger out of LA, is the short strap 6" with the clamp at each end.    Thanks.  Al

MoparDave

early cars had the short strap from production. which is really too short. By 72 into 73 they were all the 8 inch strap # 2258862.

Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

MoparDave

IF  you need some of the longer straps I have over 350 pcs.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

GrandpaKevin

I didn't know there were 2 lengths available when I ordered one for a fuel system rebuild.

The one I got was the shorter one and it was a PIA to install between the sending unit and the factory 3/8 steel fuel line and it didn't look right.

After looking at my other Challenger's fuel lines and measuring it I realized the difference in lengths.

I ordered the longer one and replaced the the shorter one.

IMO the longer one fits much better.

Roadman

Personally I feel the ground strap is a very poor design. The clamps are weak, and the grounding of the fuel line is iffy. I use a piece of wire, strip it on one end then clamp that to the fuel sending unit line, put an eyelet on the other end and screw it to the frame rail.    :alan2cents:   Of course that's a nono for the purests, but I'd rather have a fuel gauge working correctly than worry about mod that can barely be seen.   :rebelflag"

Burdar

QuotePersonally I feel the ground strap is a very poor design. The clamps are weak, and the grounding of the fuel line is iffy.

:iagree:

Before I was able to buy the long strap, I just left if off all together.  My gauge still worked.  The tank will ground through the tank straps to the body...as long as everything is nice and rust free.  The ground strap is an extra ground that is probably needed after a little rust formed on the factory parts. 

69BFan

Thanks very much for the information on the strap.  I would assume that it also spread over into the other body types in 72 as well and was not just a E-Body thing.  People had asked for the longer units and it made sense to do them.  Dave, had we known that you had a stash of them, it would have been worth a phone call to see what could have been worked out.  Again thanks for the quick response and factual information, it is much appreciated.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.