Main Menu

A/C wiring

Started by tparker, February 01, 2021, 09:31:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I have a question about the AC wiring. It looks like the wiring comes from the bulk head connector to the pressure switch then out to the compressor. Does anyone have a photo so I can see routing. I can't find any online. Apparently people aren't flaunting their A/C :)

71383bee

Depending on the year there is usually 1 or 2 wires that plug into the empty #3 and #4 post of the transmission bulkhead connector and another wire to the #20 slot on the Engine forward harness.  My 73 manual with AC has a green feed wire that plugs into the #4 terminal and a dark blue that goes to the #20 slot on the engine forward harness.  The AC harness is very small it runs along the same routing as the engine forward harness along the right vc. 

I posted in your other post.  I replaced all of my front 73 harnesses a few years ago and got the trans and ac harness's from Bill Evans of evans wiring.  The AC harness has blank wires that just plug into the bulkhead connectors.  I recommend getting a new trans and ac harness and re running it. 

Attached are some pictures of my 73 replacement. One item to note.  I found out the replacement harness accidently had the wire switch between the #8 and #7 posts.  For my manual this powers the reverse light in the car.  I had to switch them which is how i found out how to use a screwdriver to pop them out of the bulkhead and switch them.   I told Bill Evans about it he said that a few get away that way and thanked me.  Just a good habit to lay the new against the old and check to see if everything lines up.  Also a good point to check the FSM.  The site has several available.  I'll attach my 73 FSM sheets that detail it. 

Pictures are original trans/AC bulkhead, then new w/ incorrect #7 & #8, & FSM photos.
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

MoparLeo

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

tparker

Awesome. Thanks. This helps. I don't need the whole harness, but they seem pretty cheap.