Main Menu

a/c wiring

Started by eabsales1, December 03, 2017, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

eabsales1

@1 Wild R/T and @anlauto   These are the only 2 open spots I have on the harness.  Which color spade connectors go to which slot?

anlauto

You're best to see where they are located on the inside of the bulkhead and match them up. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Roadman

Since this car is a 72, the YO harnesses may not work. They only list 70 and 71. And under hood 2 harnesses are needed.   https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/l38478    and    https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/challenger.cuda/electrical/harnesses/a_c-clutch-low.pressure-cut.off-extension-harness

eabsales1

I was surprised to see that myself.  I ended up getting it from Classic Industries.  Thanks for the heads up though.

1 Wild R/T

Blue cavity A  Green Cavity B On a 70-71.... Since your application uses those cavities use whats available just make sure the green & blue match up inside & out....   The blue is the compressor signal & goes first to the switch on the dryer then to the A/C clutch.... The green goes to the blower....

eabsales1

@anlauto Thanks again!  Hopefully, the open cavities are hidden by the wiring harness!

eabsales1

@anlauto this is the fuse block.  It look to me that the image you posted will be correct.  What do you think?

anlauto

You need to unclip the fuse block and look at the bulkhead to see where the green and blue AC wires are.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on December 06, 2017, 02:25:11 PM
You need to unclip the fuse block and look at the bulkhead to see where the green and blue AC wires are.

But if he's using a new harness that wasn't optioned for A/C there won't be a green or blue A/C wire.... So select what ever cavities are available & just make sure the blue & green match on both sides of the bulk head

eabsales1

I have to be honest (if it isn't glaringly apparent) electrical is not my thing.  Wouldn't the 2 wires have to be connected to the same fuse?  If so and the open cavities are not on the same fuse, how do I make sure they meet on the inside?  Can the wires be re-routed to be on the same one?

anlauto

I thought the car originally had AC so I was assuming the inside harness was still in the car ?

eabsales1

The under dash harness is inside the car still.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: eabsales1 on December 03, 2017, 07:47:03 PM
I have a 1972 Challenger with factory a/c, but I tossed the original wiring harnesses years ago.  The new harness i bought does not have any wiring for the blower motor or any a/c components, at least not that I can see.  I assume I bought a non-a/c harness but it seems now the a/c harness must be purchased separately?  If I get this harness, does anyone have any info how to install it?  No idea where in the fuse block or how to route the wires.  Thanks for any help on this!

I assumed reading this that you'd thrown all the harnesses away like many people do.... If the under dash harness is still there then you only need the under hood parts & as Alan said you need to match what's do under the dash.... The fuse box releases easily by flexing the two spring tabs

eabsales1

I only tossed the under hood harness.  I never thought the dash harness would come into play with this discussion, so  guess i just left that info out.  Sorry about that!  I am sure I will see what it looks like when I remove the fuse box.