Main Menu

Broken hazard switch knob, can it be replaced?

Started by GrandpaKevin, May 17, 2020, 11:09:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Wife accidentally bumped the hazard switch knob and broke it off.

The turn signal switch is a newer one installed when the column was rebuilt so it would be nice to keep it.

I think I saw pictures of the hazard knob removed on a post here, anyone know the procedure?

Otherwise I guess it's time to remove/replace the turn signal switch, any tips?

Thanks.

JS29

Cuda Cody

It's 3 rivets to replace it, but it needs to be out of the column to do it and you'll need a donor knob.

GrandpaKevin

Got a donor knob in the original manual steering column it replaced.

Is it possible to pull the steering wheel, the crush can and unscrew the turn signal switch, flip it over and swap the knob?

What can be used to the replace the removed rivets?

soundcontrol

Have the same problem, on my 70 Barracuda, my turn signal cam was broken so I borrowed the whole assembly from my 73 Challenger project.
Hazard knob is different, wont fit in the column hole.
@Cuda Cody, if I drill out those rivets and find replacement rivets, does a 70 knob fit inside the switch?

Cuda Cody

Yes, the 1970 knob will fit.  You can also take an air sanding disc and remove some material from the back of the fatter 1973 know and make it fit the 1970 steering column hole.  Both ways work good, but I prefer the 1970 knob.

Jay Bee

Why not just change the cam in the '70 turn signal switch @soundcontrol

soundcontrol

Quote from: Jay Bee on June 07, 2020, 03:38:43 PM
Why not just change the cam in the '70 turn signal switch @soundcontrol

I will, later, I just need it quick.
Since I'm in Sweden, a lot of parts take weeks or months for me to get.

Thanks Cody! I'll sand it down, that quickest and easiest. Just need it to work for the registration test soon.

Chryco Psycho

I have also ground down the back of the thicker 73 switches to fit in the 70 column