Main Menu

Distributor question

Started by blown motor, April 27, 2019, 09:27:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

In the parts stash that I got with the Charger is the distributor that was on the 440 engine. It got replaced with an MSD distributor. I put the part number into eBay search and it comes up as a Hemi distributor. Did they use the same one on the 440 originally? eBay listings say tach drive. Is that just part of the electrical? Should I sell it or keep it?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

YES 440 & 426 use the same distributor and 383 & 400 use a different one. Length of the shaft is different. :alan2cents:, and of course small block is different as well.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JonH

Yes it is also tach drive. The part coming off the shaft at 90 degrees will accept a tach drive cable. (similar to a speedometer cable) This was a hot setup back in the day before electronics advanced to where they are now. They also require your tach to be cable driven. (obviously) I was not aware that was an option on a Mopar. Wonder if it is a Mopar Performance aftermarket distributor?...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JonH on April 27, 2019, 12:02:54 PMWonder if it is a Mopar Performance aftermarket distributor?...

Exactly what it is.......    P4120942  1990 green sheet price $245

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/183116039988?rmvSB=true

Chryco Psycho

Tach drive dist were available & used back in the 60s & 70s , rare piece , probably worth some $$ to a collector or older type resto race car build