Main Menu

New Pertronix Distributor Question

Started by Daveh, February 01, 2019, 11:18:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

Is your coil compatible with removing the resistor?
Are you removing an original Chrysler electronic ignition?
There are 2 ignition power sources that need to be tied together.
Ignition 1 (key on engine running ignition power) looks like yours is a blue wire.
Ignition 2 (starting/starter engaged only ignition power) looks like yours is a brown wire.
Connect the blue and brown wires together. These wires now go to the ignition wire shown on your instruction sheet.
It's best to get a wiring diagram to verify, also the blue wire feeds the alternator.
Here's a couple of drawings best I could find to try and show what's needed.
Top one is electronic ignition stock configuration.
Bottom is modified for resistor bypass, only run your red distributor wire directly to the coil as pertronix shows.

Daveh

Is your coil compatible with removing the resistor?
Yes I purchased the Flame Thrower II coil with the Pertronix distributor. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-45011/overview/

Are you removing an original Chrysler electronic ignition?

Yes - I'm installing the PerTronix Flame-Thrower Plug and Play Billet Distributor with Ignitor IIIĀ® Module D7141700

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d7141700/overview/make/dodge

Thanks Dave

Cudakiller70

Awhile back I just took out my electronic ignition, removed wiring and resistor from wiring harness. This cleaned up things and helped me see which wires to bypass and connect. Double checked with wiring diagram just to be sure.

Daveh

Stupid question - Can I leave the resister in place with existing wires and just hook the new distributor up as in the instructions? 

What would that hurt? 

Cudakiller70

Don't know the answer. An easy way is to add a jumper wire to existing ballast resistor you can leave the existing wires using these push on clips. I found some in an assortment pack at Oreillys