Main Menu

Engine harness questions

Started by fireguyfire, March 24, 2020, 10:34:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I'm sorting out the engine harness that runs down the passenger side of the engine on my 73 challenger, and feeds the alternator, washer motor, etc.
The issues I've got is that my 73 challenger has a 1970 383 in it, and on top of that the harness was modified to feed a yellow rectangular box coil .
I've sourced a harness out of a B body so I can use the connectors, etc to repair my harness.
I have a couple of questions; there is a black rubber connector with 2 bullet connectors that connects beside the main harness connector (pic).
Where do these 2 wires go to? They were spliced into the aftermarket coil.

My second question is regarding the alternator connections; there is of course the large black ring connector, and then 2 smaller gauge green wires that each had a cheap crimp style spade connector.
I'm going to splice the correct plastic spade connectors on from the B harness, however one of the connectors from the B harness has another wire coming out of the connector that goes to a bullet connector.
Do I need the connection with the bullet connector, or can I just use 2 factory plastic covered spade connectors?
I've got a colour coded wiring diagram for my 73, but of course that isnt helping me with this harness for the 70 383.

A picture of the alternator connections on a 70 383 would be helpful!

fireguyfire

Spade connector beside main connector at passenger side rear of the engine

chargerdon

I think that is the main alternator wire... 

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Not factory at all , likely main power feed into the car as the connections corrode resistance will build up causing heat , melting the plug so they bypassed the factory plug / connection , very common to see this , I recommend di-electric grease to protect the contact points
The molded bullet plug is for the factory dist BTW

71383bee

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 25, 2020, 10:02:39 AM
:iagree:
Not factory at all , likely main power feed into the car as the connections corrode resistance will build up causing heat , melting the plug so they bypassed the factory plug / connection , very common to see this , I recommend di-electric grease to protect the contact points

You are dealing with a modified stock 73 harness.  As stated the black 10 ga wire is a repair made to the alt feed line going back to the alternator.  This is a common place for this repair.  My stock harness also had this repair.  The gray double line with the connector is for the distributor pickup.  It extends only about 8" to the dizzy feed. 

For whatever reason in 73 the factory split the engine forward harness with an inline bulkhead positioned at the passenger rear corner of the engine.  They did this to the tranny clutch/NSS wire too.  Adding this connection introduces a whole new failure point in the system.  Talking to Bill Evans he said that his harnesses don't have the bulkhead as its pointless but he'll make one if you want a stock replacement.  M&H reproduces it as the factory did.  I'm guessing this was some way to improve efficiency on the line by having a shorter harness on the car and on the engine which just needed to be connected in one location. 

As for your car having a 383 the only real difference is that the distributor is near the front of the engine by the alternator.  their harness would have a longer coil feed wires and dizzy feed.  Other than it there's no real difference.  Rather than Frankenstein a new harness forma B body you can call Bill Evans and let him know that you have a 73 e body with a big block and electronic ignition.  They likely can make you a new one that will look correct and have new wires and terminals. 

I attached a picture of how my bulkhead connection worked before i changed it out.  I drove this car home from Rhode Island like this!

If your interested i have all of the original forward harnesses still.  I was hanging onto them in case i need a specific connector or something.  If you want them I can ship them out to you. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

fireguyfire

Superb information 70383bee!
Sounds like that bypass of the connection on the larger alternator wire is pretty common.
One other big difference I found between the 73 short and 70 big block harness is the wires for the horns.
On the 79 the horn wires are part of this harness on the passenger side top of the engine.
In 73 the horn wires are part of the headlight harness which runs down the inside of the drivers fender.
Look for a PM 70383bee

71383bee

That's a good point about the horns. I forgot they changed those as well. Easy fix though.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top