Main Menu

First time gauge/dash install - please help!

Started by Claudia, June 10, 2017, 02:22:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Claudia

1971 Cuda - just got restored Rallye gauge cluster back from Instr Spec. Installed gauge cluster into dash frame. Need help with some wiring. Gauges have been updated to voltmeter instead of ammeter and to accept electronic ignition and quartz clock upgrade. Wiring harness from YO. Most wiring connected but with YO harness and upgraded gauges, FSM not helping with all wiring. Can anyone help after viewing attached pics?

:looney:

First pic - I'm pretty sure these would go to ammeter and won't be used but not sure.
Second/Third pic - back of new dash showing no ammeter etc
Fourth pic - back of switch panel
Fifth pic - does this set of wires (labeled turn signal flasher) get plugged into this electronic flasher device and if so where does this get mounted? Or how?
Sixth pic - pink and white wires coming off main trunk harness (labeled stop lamp switch and emergency flashers) Not sure where these go or what to do with them?
Seventh pic - yellow wire coming from light bar (courtesy light) goes where?
Eighth/ninth pic - is this correct for these feeds and does the center console light wire go into the orange feed once dash installed?
Tenth pic - these two wires (labeled time delay ground and headlight reminder buzzer) go where?

:whiteflag:

Thanks for the help - first time ever wiring gauge cluster or installing dash so be gentle!

Cuda Cody

I can't help with anything that is not stock, but I can try to answer a few of these.  Let's start with the easy ones:

Fifth pic - does this set of wires (labeled turn signal flasher) get plugged into this electronic flasher device and if so where does this get mounted? Or how? = You will have two flashers.  The round one goes on the ash tray and the square one goes on the pedals (little small bracket).  You can use the round flashers for both if you want.

Here's a bunch of photos of backs of dashes.  Some restored and some original.

And this thread a lot of good diagrams:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/colored-wiring-diagrams-70-cudachallenger/1349/

soundcontrol

I believe the old amp meter cables should be connected to each other, for everything to work properly, but since you are not using the amp meter you should do a bypass, so the current for everything is not going thru the bulkhead connector at all. The only reason for those cables is so the amp meter reads the current and the charging. But there should be instructions for that from the company that replaced the amp meter with a voltmeter right? These cables are direct power from the battery and could case a fire if connected wrong or shorted to ground.

Here is instructions for a bypass:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Cuda Cody

Orange is normally for the lights so that looks right if you have an automatic floor shift. 

"Eighth/ninth pic - is this correct for these feeds and does the center console light wire go into the orange feed once dash installed? "

Are you A01 light package?

Claudia

stevec

A01 Light Package is the following;
From the dealer book.
Steve
'The 2nd Generation Challenger Guy'

Claudia

We do not have an A01 light package.
We only have a glove box light now which we added.
We plan to add an ashtray light at some point as well.

Cuda Cody

You mentioned Time Delay and that is normally associated with the A01 light package. 

As for the buzzer, it plugs in to the buzzer that mounts to the underside of the dash on the passenger side.  Just under the glove box near the large bolt that holds the dash in.  You can see it in this photo way over on the right side of the pic.

Claudia

Apparently we are missing a couple of items. We do not have the bracket that mounts to the ashtray to hold the flasher nor do we have the buzzer that mounts on the passenger side of the dash.

Cuda Cody

I can get more photos if you need, but my stuff it pretty much stock.  I also have some clusters out of the car if you need photos of the back, but again it would just be the stock wiring.  Here's the ash tray wiring and holder (click to enlarge).  I think they normally have an inline fuse in there too?  :thinking:

Claudia

jrgoodman

hate to hijack this post, but I received a stock radio to put back in, where an after market was installed, everything fit, but I am missing the rear bracket to hold the radio up and in -  I dont see anything else that needs to used to hold it in, unless I need to remove the from dash radio cover and there is something that needs to be there as well.  Any links or pictures, on what needs to be done to secure the AM radio?   thank you !!!

Claudia

While I have not installed my radio yet, I believe that the radio gets installed from the backside of the dash frame and is then secured to the frame with two screws installed from the bottom, going through the dash frame and into the bottom of the radio as well as a threaded stud from the side of the radio which goes through the radio bracket (bolted to the dash frame) and is secured with a nut.  I have provided a picture of just the radio bracket as well as where the bracket is installed.

jrgoodman

thank you - kept seeing that bracket, but said it was for the 8 track install and when I looked at your pictures, it appear to have a different rear mount in the pictures