Main Menu

Ignition Switch Replacement

Started by Aloha Randy, June 27, 2022, 06:17:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Aloha Randy

I have a 1970 (November 1969 build date) Dodge Challenger R/T. In troubleshooting an ignition system problem, I found with the key in the run position I am getting no voltage on the brown wire J3-14BR. When I jump 12v into it on the outgoing side, everything works fine. So, it looks like I need a switch replacement. You would think that's the hard part but I am having a time trying to find a switch replacement with the pigtail that comes out the bottom of the column (non tilt).
Classis has a part, MD 2125 but the picture does not look like my harness, shows separate wires instead of all going to the lower rectangular nylon terminal block.
Anyone have a known good source for this part?

Thanks!!

anlauto

For some reason, the replacement by "Standard Products" which most companies are selling has the main red and black wires NOT plugged into the white connector and a little bit longer for some reason. I guess it is to fit multiple applications. The two wires simply click into the connector no problem and you can take up a excess wire somewhere in the column. RockAuto likely has the best price, I believe it's US-88  :smile:

If you want, try sourcing an good working original or NOS piece, but of course expect to pay big bucks...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bullitt-

Did you check the Brown wire for power at the column connector?
Would be a shame to replace the switch if the problem is elsewhere  :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Aloha Randy

Yes I checked for power on the output side of the brown wire coming from the switch. 0 volts in the run position. I jumped a 12 volt lead from the asseserroy lug on the fuse box just before the connector and its all good and runs. It will get me to the 4th of July Show but I want to get this ordered ASAP. It a great driver and not a concours car so no high dollar NOS for this car, just a quality replacement.

Huskidrive

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!