Main Menu

please help with 2 speed wiper motor/wiring

Started by Mickm, January 20, 2017, 03:36:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

When's your new motor get in?  Something is grounded that shouldn't be  :huh:  So if you test the new motor and it does the same thing then we'll know it's in the wiring.  That's my guess.  (just a guess).  But it sounds like something in the wiring is grounded and that's what is causing the problem.  I'm not as good with wiring as I wish I was, but you might need to start check for a short or a ground on one of the wires that could be causing this.  I'll keep thinking about it and let you know if I come up with any ideas.  But for now since you already have a new motor coming in, lets see what that one does.   :thinking:

Quote from: Mickm on January 22, 2017, 06:35:31 PM
That is what I am thinking. However, I removed the metal sleeves in the rubber mounts so they couldn't ground it out when mounted and it didn't make any difference, it still didn't work, but just slid it off and it runs in my hand without it grounding to anything.???
Thanks,
Mickm

A.Gramz

From what I gather from your write up it sounds like something internal of the wiper motor shorting to ground.  The housing probally flexes a bit when u tighten the bolts and is making contact inside.  When u remove it spring back and is ok.    That's assuming when it's in your hand it's still connected to the car wiring working fine and not bench testing. Without being there and seeing in person with a multi meter it's hard to say.

Mickm

Thanks guys.
The new motor will be here tomorrow around noon.
AGramz, yes it runs when I remove it from it's mounting but still attached to the car's wiring.

I can understand there being a grounding issue but why is there not 1st speed?

I believe there is a problem in the wiring at the switch and/or the motor.

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know what happens next.

Cheers!
Mickm

SF-Resto

Hi Mickm,  just to be sure , you have the concealed 2 speed wiper motor ...Right?

Mickm

Yes, it is the 2 speed motor for sure.
Cheers,
Mickm

Passion4Mopars

I think Stephan means concealed vs non concealed motor.  The E bodies used what is termed a concealed motor because the wiper arms are pulled below the cowl in a concealed position, but if the motor worked previously I'm actually leaning towards the wiring that was replaced.  There are no wiring modifications that need to be done when  you change say from a three speed/variable speed to a two speed and vice versa, it's just making sure that on a two speed you receive the correct concealed wiper motor and not a non concealed which is set up for a B body application and park position.

Have you tried to move your linkage and checked the pivots to be sure there is no binding that is putting this motor into a bind?  Pivots, linkage, etc., over time, as I'm sure you are aware, will rust and bind and not move freely and will cause binding and additional load on the motor?

SF-Resto

Quote from: Passion4Mopars on January 23, 2017, 10:10:47 AM
I think Stephan means concealed vs non concealed motor. 

:iagree:

Also when you bench test your motor  which test did you used ( Kim bench test procedure ) :  concealed  or non concealed . The concealed or reversing motor runs backwards to park. The non-concealed or non-reversing motor runs forward to park and one of the brushes is tied directly to the case ground. If the 4 connectors on the motor are in good shape the reversing motor will have 3 silver and P1 will be brass terminals. The non reversing motor will have 4 silver terminals. Another check way to tell is use a Ohm meter and check P-2 to ground. If it read a short its a reversing motor. One last question, do you have a ground strap on your motor.

Passion4Mopars

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, at least for me  LOL

If the motor was functioning properly prior to changing the wiring it should be a concealed unit.  At least I'm going off that info from the original post.

Thanks Stephan for the explanation, I should've been more clear on that when I posted.

Cuda Cody

The photo helps!  So look for the 3 grey metallic tabs to tell is it's a reversing?   

Quote from: Passion4Mopars on January 23, 2017, 11:56:06 AM
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, at least for me  LOL

If the motor was functioning properly prior to changing the wiring it should be a concealed unit.  At least I'm going off that info from the original post.

Thanks Stephan for the explanation, I should've been more clear on that when I posted.

Mickm

Ok, I installed the new motor. Now the motor will not run off the car in my hand. When mounted, there is no first speed at all and second speed consist of the shaft rocking back and forth about 1/4" in each direction. No arms are attached.

Here is a pic of the motor showing how it is wired now (note, this replicates how it was wired originally). It is a non-reversing motor as it has two brass horizontal and two brass vertical spades.

Here is the switch, which is "susposed" to be a NOS 2 speed '72 switch. I do know it is exactly like the one I removed but has the spade that was pulled out of the original.

Note: In the American Autowire harness, there was a 90 ° double plug that had a red wire and a teal wire. I was told to not use this since my switch does not have a place for it to plug (their kit is set up for a 3 speed motor).

Now they have told me to separate the wires and hook up the red but when the wiper switch it in the on position, the white wire (power feed) has power as does the red.  The Teal (which is dangling in space and not attached to the switch) is also hot.

I decided to replace the brown/white wire with the teal wire and now the motor runs fine. Ok, one small step for mankind.....

But I still don't have a low speed so I will try to put the switch in low position tomorrow and see which wire lights up with the test light. Then swap that wire out.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am a mechanical engineer but obviously not an electrical one, and this wiring  has kicked my butt bigtime.

IF you have  any ideas towards getting the low speed to work, please chime in.

Cheers!
Mickm

Cuda Cody

Are we sure that's an E-Body 2 speed wiper switch?  Now I want to go look and see....  just to be sure.

Cuda Cody

Now I know why the switch doesn't look right to me, I'm used to seeing 70 switches.  They changed in 1972, right?

Cuda Cody

Still looking...  found this on my computer, but I think it's 70-71?

Cuda Cody

Cuda Cody

I'm going to go back and read all this tread again after dinner, but I thick you told us that you have now tried 2 motors and 2 switches?