Main Menu

Unknown wire

Started by Mrbill426, October 28, 2020, 06:14:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

This is a photo of the steering column end of the ignition switch harness; can anyone tell me what the small gauge black wire is for?

moreparts

My parts diagram labels it for the Indicator Lamp.

Cuda70-74

Look kike its suppose to be a orange wire and its for gear select lamp
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Mrbill426

And it appears the red wires in that harness are supposed to be yellow  :huh:

Quote from: Cuda70-74 on October 28, 2020, 07:07:18 PM
Look kike its suppose to be a orange wire and its for gear select lamp

anlauto

I'm confused...Where do you guys see the ignition switch on that diagram ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

I don't know if it makes a difference but I have just learned that this harness came out of a '74 model.  My ('72) harness that I plan to use this one to replace has no wire in that position at all and no sign there ever was one.  The '72 has a separate run yellow wire for a light that shines on the key switch. Pretty sure both had/have a rally dash though.

Mrbill426

@anlauto not the switch itself but the multi wire  harness... on the right where it says "steering column".

Quote from: anlauto on October 29, 2020, 12:47:55 PM

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on October 29, 2020, 12:56:10 PM
@anlauto not the switch itself but the multi wire  harness... on the right where it says "steering column".

Quote from: anlauto on October 29, 2020, 12:47:55 PM

Oh...DUH :headbang:  I read it said signal switch under there and just thought it was the signal switch....I didn't look at the colours...Brain Fart I guess..

Maybe that black wire is for the "gear selector" on a column shift car ?  No that doesn't make sense either.... I'll just move along  :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

My '70 Service Manual shows that wire in that location as orange and I believe it's power for the indicator lamp for the PRNDL display on the steering column of a column shift car.

:Thud:  I'm always typing the same time when someone's posting.

Mrbill426

@Jay Bee thanks.  :bigthumb: Apparently changes were made; this (donor) harness is a '74 console shift automatic.  All I need is the plastic connector but I was just curious about that black wire circuit of which my '72 does not have a wire, that is shown to be orange everywhere else.  :dunno:

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 29, 2020, 01:10:03 PM
My '70 Service Manual shows that wire in that location as orange and I believe it's power for the indicator lamp for the PRNDL display on the steering column of a column shift car.

:Thud:  I'm always typing the same time when someone's posting.

Burdar

IIRC the two small red wires go to the chime that goes off if the door is opened and the keys are in the ignition.  The small black wire next to them isn't used in all years.  The parts store replacement ignition switches say that is a ground wire used on some models.  The main dash harness side of that connector has two orange wires connected together in that location on my 73.  Probably wouldn't have been a good idea to leave that small ground wire plugged into the harness.  My original ignition switch didn't use it so I pulled it from the plug and didn't use it.

If that small black wire does ground to the ignition switch, you need to pull it from the connector.