Main Menu

What is this harness for

Started by Mrbill426, May 21, 2020, 11:36:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Obviously I did not take enough notes or pictures on disassembly years ago or I would know for sure what this harness in the left rocker is.  I suspect something for the seat belts BUT the wire colors do not match any aftermarket diagrams I have, and the 1972 factory body manual wiring diagram does not show it at all.  It is a short harness that has a corrisponding connector on the left side of the dash.  I have not yet tackled the dash rework.  What is it for please and thank you.

Burdar

Does your dash have a seat belt warning light like my 73?  The colors are correct for the seat belt warning light harness.  Here is how they are routed.
There are wires that connect to the seat belt retractor as well as a wire that connects to the bottom of the passengers seat.  When someone sits in the seat, the wire is grounded and turns on the light.

71383bee

That's good to know. I have the light as well but it's nonfunctional. Does it interlock with the starting of the car?  I have a friend with a 74 dart sport that had it and it wreaked havoc on starting the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Mrbill426

Hmmmm now I need to go looking for that separate harness; it is not in the box I placed the wiring in like 8 years ago  :thinking:
Thanks Budar

Quote from: Burdar on May 21, 2020, 12:11:03 PM
Does your dash have a seat belt warning light like my 73?  The colors are correct for the seat belt warning light harness.  Here is how they are routed.
There are wires that connect to the seat belt retractor as well as a wire that connects to the bottom of the passengers seat.  When someone sits in the seat, the wire is grounded and turns on the light.

Burdar

QuoteDoes it interlock with the starting of the car?  I have a friend with a 74 dart sport that had it and it wreaked havoc on starting the car.

That was for 74 only.