Main Menu

Wiring connections - Stabilant 22

Started by VermontMopar, May 01, 2020, 07:05:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

VermontMopar

Has anyone used Stabilant 22 on their wire connections.... especially bulkhead connectors?   I've had someone suggest it might greatly improve the connectivity and I'm having periodic issues....

Vt Mopar

JS29

dodj

That is really designed for ensuring good low voltage contact like in analog signals and pc boards. I'm willing to think it couldn't hurt, but maybe your issue is the tightness/cleanliness of your contacts?
I've never used an 'enhancer' on a car, only a dielectric to seal out moisture. I have used 'enhancers' on low voltage analog load cell signals, but those are like up to 1v signals.

@JS29
https://www.posthorn.com/Stab_2.html
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

What kind of electrical issues are you having VT?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

VermontMopar

The issue relates to connections through the bulkhead.     On my 68 Charger, all of a sudden when I released the ignition (to run position) — it died.       I originally thought it was a bad ignition switch.... but changed that out and then after I tried to cleaned the bulkhead connectors — it worked normal .... for about two weeks.   The other day it repeated.....  so in researching, I thought this product might help.   Since then Ive taken the bulkhead connector apart and sprayed the connections with a simple automotive electrical connector cleaning spray and its back to normal again — for now.  I worry it will happen again....   

This product was recommended by my local mechanic.... thought I'd try it and was curious if anyone here had used it.   It is supposed to greatly improve connectivity ... although as someone noted.... used more on low volt applications.

Chryco Psycho

Good to see you here again  :bigthumb:
too bad you went to the trouble of changing the ign switch first , the bulkhead is a much more likely spot for problems .

JS29

Now i would use dielectric grease.  :alan2cents:

VermontMopar

Hey Neal.    Nice to hear from you.... hope all is well.   

CudaHead

Please note, dielectric grease needs to be applied as thin as possible.

VermontMopar

Thanks for the tip.   Something was on there pretty thick before I cleaned it.... perhaps the restorer got carried away....

dodj

Quote from: JS29 on May 04, 2020, 07:52:22 AM
Now i would use dielectric grease.  :alan2cents:
After a thorough cleaning.  :alan2cents:

JS29