Main Menu

426 HEMI Missing Just One Thing! - Can You Find It?

Started by 303 Mopar, November 18, 2017, 02:22:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jim AAR

No it's there, he showed it and mentioned it in the video.

It is a stumper....

ScottSmith_Harms

How about the exhaust manifold to air cleaner heat tube (and clip)? Should be there and I didn't see it?

303 Mopar

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on December 01, 2017, 08:57:42 AM
How about the exhaust manifold to air cleaner heat tube (and clip)? Should be there and I didn't see it?

That is there too, and he showed it in the part II video.

HP_Cuda

I believe the clue in all of this is that Nick is looking for a piece which is required for the operation of the motor.

Not so much the dress up side. It is a stumper.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

HP_Cuda

I'm gonna take a stab at it since Nick addressed this in the video but he didn't say that wasn't it.

For a 70 Challenger you actually had this breather with 2 ports and not 3:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-1970-1-AAR-TA-HEMI-VALVE-COVER-BREATHER-/230856294184

Heck I'd like to know what plugs into the port which seems to go right under the heater hoses into the firewall.  :notsure:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

ScottSmith_Harms

No, watch video #2, at about the 9:30-40 mark you'll see the rear of the engine. The heat tube to the automatic choke (white fabric covering) is there but the second thin heat tube which goes to the nipple on the underside of the air cleaner that screws into the underside of the pass ex manifold (thin steel tube painted orange with the rubber hose connected to it in my example pic) and the second smaller clip that retains it is not on his engine.

GY3R/T

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on December 01, 2017, 04:39:55 PM
No, watch video #2, at about the 9:30-40 mark you'll see the rear of the engine. The heat tube to the automatic choke (white fabric covering) is there but the second thin heat tube which goes to the nipple on the underside of the air cleaner that screws into the underside of the pass ex manifold (thin steel tube painted orange with the rubber hose connected to it in my example pic) and the second smaller clip that retains it is not on his engine.
Exactly.     As i said back on page 2. " Clean air (steel) supply tube from air cleaner to bottom of exhaust."

ScottSmith_Harms

GY3R/T,  right part but your description threw me, it supplies hot air to the air cleaner/carbs, not "clean" air. Either way, same part is missing on Nicks engine. These don't need to be there for proper engine performance though, in fact for 1971 they eliminated it all together and went to a manual choke on the carb.

Good for him though, regardless of what is wrong or missing from his engine, I'm sure his goal of drawing more people to his web site has been accomplished. :cheers:

fc7cuda

Topcat

I'm watching this thread intently. 

I studied what is all on a 71' Hemi engine but not so much as on 69' or 70's.

Racer57

1 Wild R/T

He's gotten input from a lot of very sharp guys about how correct his engine is....

Topcat

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 01, 2017, 07:03:42 PM
He's gotten input from a lot of very sharp guys about how correct his engine is....

Roger Gibson did a great article on correct items on Hemi engine's in Mopar Action April 2016.
Worth looking at if you have the issue.

GY3R/T

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on December 01, 2017, 05:53:02 PM
GY3R/T,  right part but your description threw me, it supplies hot air to the air cleaner/carbs, not "clean" air. Either way, same part is missing on Nicks engine. These don't need to be there for proper engine performance though, in fact for 1971 they eliminated it all together and went to a manual choke on the carb.

Good for him though, regardless of what is wrong or missing from his engine, I'm sure his goal of drawing more people to his web site has been accomplished. :cheers:
The nipple on the air cleaner base is inside the filter element. Air drawn through the nipple and rubber coupler, down the bare steel tube to the bottom of the exhaust manifold is clean air. As it passes thru exhaust tube and up to choke housing it is heated clean air. With out this complete system the engine would run rich and rough until choke butterfly finally opens due to radian heat from engine. (if at all) That's a long time.

ScottSmith_Harms