Main Menu

426 HEMI Missing Just One Thing! - Can You Find It?

Started by 303 Mopar, November 18, 2017, 02:22:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

HP_Cuda

Not that it's wrong but why is the Oil pressure sending unit not painted with the motor?

You would think that it would be assembled before lifting into the car cause it's a small pain to do it afterwards. Maybe it was placed after the motor was painted and before installation?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

ScottSmith_Harms

Oil pressure sending unit was installed after the engine was painted

HP_Cuda

6bblgt

the reason it is not on there before paint is because there are two OPTIONS for the sending unit: with gauge or with light

engine is painted at the engine assembly plant - it receives a oil pressure sending unit once it is selected for a specific car

for 1970 - a 'cuda & Coronet R/T (with their STANDARD dash) are the only HEMI cars w/o a STANDARD factory oil pressure gauge

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

Very cool, thanks for taking the time to explain 6bblgt!!!

:banana:

Roadman

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 23, 2017, 11:25:11 AM
the reason it is not on there before paint is because there are two OPTIONS for the sending unit: with gauge or with light

engine is painted at the engine assembly plant - it receives a oil pressure sending unit once it is selected for a specific car

for 1970 - a 'cuda & Coronet R/T (with their STANDARD dash) are the only HEMI cars w/o a STANDARD factory oil pressure gauge

Thats interesting. Were the vin #s stamped on the block before or after paint.  :notsure:  If before then they would already know the specific car it was going in.  ??

6bblgt

Quote from: Roadman on November 23, 2017, 11:50:40 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on November 23, 2017, 11:25:11 AM

Thats interesting. Were the vin #s stamped on the block before or after paint.  :notsure:  If before then they would already know the specific car it was going in.  ??

after & at a different plant

303 Mopar

Nick posted a follow up video showing some of the incorrect guesses and more details on the 426 Hemi.  @ScottSmith_Harms's guess of the CAP emissions valve (green) is not mentioned, so maybe still in the running.  @benlavigne did you get a chance to ask Nick?

ScottSmith_Harms

The problem is that he is speaking one two different model year Hemi engines. It's a 69 engine but he is installing it into a 70 model year car, he was not clear in his question. Had he asked "What 1969 Hemi detail is missing from this Hemi engine" the CAP valve is the obvious answer. If asking "What 1970 detail is missing from this Hemi engine" them the CAP valve would not be the answer because they were not used in 1970.  The most obvious detail I see missing from his engine (assuming he is speaking of 1970 details) is the primary carburetor fuel bowl vent which was a 1970-71 carburetor detail (69 and earlier carbs don't have them) in 1970 the fuel vent vented to open air, in 1971 there was a rubber hose to the valve cover breather on the passenger side.

This is a 1970 engine that I detailed. Compare it to Nicks and you'll see a number of differences in the smaller details. The customer I built it for wanted the 71 style breather and vent hose added, the hose was not used in 70, and the breather did not have as many nipples accordingly.

The second pic is an NOS 1970 Hemi primary carburetor showing the vent tube I mentioned which is not on his 1969 carburetor. Also notice the masking tape which was used to retain the choke cover before the retention ring and screws were added. This tape usually melted away when the choke got hot and left a yellowish glue residue on the choke housing.

wldgtx

A lottery worth of information in that video!  Well at least for me...
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

GY3R/T

Nick is not asking about correct details of the engine. He's asking what is missing related to the function of the engine.   :alan2cents:

Racer57

ScottSmith_Harms

Is it missing the starter heat shield? I couldn't see a clear view of it in his first video.

*Edit- I had not seen his second video where he explains away most of my points so I guess it's none of my above guesses  :notsure: