Main Menu

440 msd pro billet distributor cap hitting valve cover

Started by dave73, October 06, 2017, 01:25:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

My msd pro billet distributor is current clocked so the mounting screw for the cap is pointed directly at the top right most section of the passenger side valve cover. It was always super tight with a set of repro stock style valve covers but they were warped and leaking like crazy. I now have a set of aluminum fabricated vc's and they don't even come close to fitting - I don't think I can even grind/dent them to fit.

In looking at other 440 references, looks like the distributors are rotated 180 so the screw is not pointed direct at the valve cover. My car runs fine, but is there a way to flip the cap to gain clearance to the vc?

Black red engine picture is mine - teal engine is what I'm looking to obtain:

Burdar

All you should have to do is re-index the intermediate shaft between the distributor and the oil pump.

First, spin the engine so the rotor tip is pointing right at the #1 post on the distributor.(mark the location of the #1 terminal on the distributor body) Pull the distributor and stick a flat blade screwdriver into the hole.  The screwdriver will engage the slot in the intermediate shaft(oil pump drive).  Turning the screwdriver(don't remember which direction) will cause the gear to lift off of the cam gear.  You can then turn the intermediate shaft a tooth or two before seating it back down into the cam gear.  Reinstall the distributor and line up the rotor tip with the mark you made .(#1 terminal on the distributor)  If that didn't move the distributor enough, you can move the intermediate shaft another tooth or two.

dave73

So say I pulled the cap and the rotor was pointing to #8. Could I mark 8 on the cap, re-index the shaft then line up 8 with the rotor, avoiding turning over the engine to line up the rotor with 1?

Burdar

Yes you could however you'll probably find that the rotor didn't stop exactly under a terminal. You want the rotor tip directly under a terminal. That way you get it back in the exact spot so you don't have to reset the timing.

6bblgt

you don't have to rotate the intermediate shaft (or the shaft & rotor)

just rotate the distributor body until you have the desired clearances & re-locate the plug wires to their former position

rotate the body 2 or 3 wire positions & the plug wires 2 or 3 positions in the opposite direction (#1 will be in the same place)

1 Wild R/T

Leave the intermediate shaft where it is... Loosen the distributor & rotate it where you have max clearance.... Move the wires so they are back in their original locations in relation to the rotor not the cap.... Reset timing... Done....

I didn't catch Dan's response.... He's exactly right...

Burdar

dave73

I listened to Burdar..or did it this morning before I saw the other responses. Worked out great, the valve covers for and car still runs  :ohyeah: thank you everyone