Main Menu

70 Challenger Motor Mount Advice

Started by schlett7nu1, February 05, 2021, 11:43:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

My 70 Challenger 440 survivor still has its original 121 rubber motor mounts. I've not removed one for visual inspection. However, an undercar review suggests they show no signs of separation. Way back in the early 80's I failed a motor mount on my 67 427 Vette. They were the original non-safety mounts that came out in the late 60's. The engine rotated under torque load and damaged all sorts of parts. Are the original Mopar mounts safety mounts?  Should I be concerned about my original mounts and replace them?  I like to keep the car original but want it safe and reliable.
Thanks

Chryco Psycho

The original mounts are NOT safety mounts & will pull apart , if yours look OK , all I do is add a strap between the engine ear & the mount cross bolt to prevent them pulling apart , , just use 1" strap drill a couple of hole & bend to fit . almost invisable & it will save fan shrouds, rad hoses etc !

RacerX

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 05, 2021, 06:15:40 PM
The original mounts are NOT safety mounts & will pull apart , if yours look OK , all I do is add a strap between the engine ear & the mount cross bolt to prevent them pulling apart , , just use 1" strap drill a couple of hole & bend to fit . almost invisable & it will save fan shrouds, rad hoses etc !

I have a few sets of big block motor mounts that have a steel cable from one of the engine
bolts to the k-frame bolt.    My recollection is this was a recall/TSB back in the day due to
broken motor mounts, but I memory could be off...

The cables were produced by mopar though, not aftermarket.    The mounts are buried at the
moment or I could post a picture...

headejm

@RacerX Please post a picture or two. I'd like to see what the cable looks like.  :cheers:

RacerX

Quote from: headejm on February 05, 2021, 11:12:16 PM
@RacerX Please post a picture or two. I'd like to see what the cable looks like.  :cheers:

OK will try to dig em up tomorrow (Saturday)

schlett7nu1

I suspected original mounts are non-safety. I wasn't sure if there was some feature molded inside the mount that isn't visible. I found this image from one of the Mopar forums. It looks like the cable you're referring to.

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RacerX

Quote from: schlett7nu1 on February 06, 2021, 05:49:41 AM
I suspected original mounts are non-safety. I wasn't sure if there was some feature molded inside the mount that isn't visible. I found this image from one of the Mopar forums. It looks like the cable you're referring to.

Yes that looks like the one...

7E-Bodies

Id like to get safety mounts for my numbers matching 440 and trans. I could just imagine twisting this set up and busting something big. I went to Mancini's site and didn't find much. Perhaps I searched it wrong.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Chryco Psycho

The 2 that I am aware of are Poly Loc & Magmounts , Roseville may have them .

7E-Bodies

I'm liking the magmounts at Mancini, yet their website leaves a little to be desired as far as details go. The following link doesn't depict engine sizes or an exploded view of how the countersunk bolt is attached. I may reach out to them as I'm nearing the point where I will be needing a new set for my original 440. My originals look good, but twisting this set up is the stuff of nightmares.

https://www.manciniracing.com/benmaset.html
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

dodj

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on February 06, 2021, 12:44:30 PM
Id like to get safety mounts for my numbers matching 440 and trans. I could just imagine twisting this set up and busting something big. I went to Mancini's site and didn't find much. Perhaps I searched it wrong.
https://www.manciniracing.com/benmaset.html
I used these with my 440?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill