Main Menu

70 Cuda clutch issues

Started by B5fourspeed, January 13, 2022, 05:24:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

I have a new rebuilt 833 trans.New Centerforce clutch,new flywheel.I been trying to adjust the clutch for days.It will grind in every gear I try to put it in when the car is running.After talking to some people I removed the inspection cover and with the clutch in and the trans in neutral I can't spin the disc.There is play side to side.I have never Experienced this issue with a clutch.I did have to draw the trans in  a little when being installed.The trans has a new input shaft and crank bushing.Any thoughts before I remove the tranny.Thanks

Chryco Psycho

I assume the disc is in facing the correct way otherwise the spring hub hits the crank bolts .
Is the pilot bushing too tight ?
I believe you are dropping the trans .
The other suggestion is toss the Cforce clutch , I hate them having bad experience with them in multiple cars . But you don't want to hear that I bet .

B5fourspeed

Thank you for the reply.The clutch disc is in correctly,I went with the centerforce dual friction clutch this time.My last Cuda I have the Centerforce 2 and have no issues.I think the pilot bushing might the issue.

B5fourspeed

CP,if the pilot bushing and input shaft are too tight what happens.Thanks

torredcuda

Why was the input shaft replaced, was it ground down at the nose? Is your crank drilled for a four speed?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Rich G.

If the pilot bearing is to tight you can try putting the car in gear with the engine off, step on the clutch and start it up leaving your foot on the clutch the entire time. If you're using a bronze bearing that will burn off any tight spots with the bearing if that's the problem. If you were pulling up and down trying to get the trans in you might have bent the disc. ( Forget to say keep your foot on the brakes so the car can't move.)

anlauto

Quote from: B5fourspeed on January 13, 2022, 05:24:59 PM
I have a new rebuilt 833 trans.New Centerforce clutch,new flywheel.I been trying to adjust the clutch for days.It will grind in every gear I try to put it in when the car is running.After talking to some people I removed the inspection cover and with the clutch in and the trans in neutral I can't spin the disc.There is play side to side.I have never Experienced this issue with a clutch.I did have to draw the trans in  a little when being installed.The trans has a new input shaft and crank bushing.Any thoughts before I remove the tranny.Thanks

What exactly do you mean "play side to side" ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

B5fourspeed

The input was cut so I had it replaced.The crank was drilled for the bushing and I put a new bushing in.Alan,when I had the trans in neutral and someone was pushing the clutch pedal to the floor I was able to wiggle the disc slightly which meant that there is a little clearance but the disc would not spin.

B5fourspeed

Rich,the car is jacked up and I put the car in first gear and started the car.iI push the clutch pedal to the floor and kept it there when I was starting the car.The rear tires where spinning.The speedo was working.I was thinking the same thing that the soft metal bushing would wear in.I only let it run for a minute or so.Any other thoughts.Thanks for in input.

anlauto

Quote from: B5fourspeed on January 14, 2022, 07:37:03 AM
The input was cut so I had it replaced.The crank was drilled for the bushing and I put a new bushing in.Alan,when I had the trans in neutral and someone was pushing the clutch pedal to the floor I was able to wiggle the disc slightly which meant that there is a little clearance but the disc would not spin.

This is odd :thinking: with the clutch disc on the input shaft spline, I can't imagine there being side to side play  :huh: especially if the shaft is tight in the pilot bushing :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: B5fourspeed on January 14, 2022, 07:49:25 AM
Rich,the car is jacked up and I put the car in first gear and started the car.iI push the clutch pedal to the floor and kept it there when I was starting the car.The rear tires where spinning.The speedo was working.I was thinking the same thing that the soft metal bushing would wear in.I only let it run for a minute or so.Any other thoughts.Thanks for in input.

Do this on the ground.   With the wheels up in the air, there's nothing to hold them still, and there will be some rotation transferred through the transmission to the driveshaft.

Even in neutral, the gears are all still connected and meshing.  They just rotate freely on the output shaft until the syncro locks in one gear at a time.  If the car inches forward in neutral, then you have a problem.

Rich G.

Correct, the car needs to be on the ground or put the parking brakes on this way the input shaft won't turn but the pilot bushing will. Driving the car in first gear and stopping with your foot on the clutch will  do the same thing. It should loosen up in a few seconds. If it's that bad that the car stalls you have bigger problems.

B5fourspeed

Decided to remove the tranny.Guess what the tranny will not come out.Took the bolts out of the bell housing and it still will not release.Removed the bolts from the pressure plate.It spins freely.We tried a rachet strap from the rear end to the tailshaft.This is a first for me.This is a nut and bolt restoration that I should be driving and having fun with.I also have decided to get rid of the headers.They are not worth it when you have to work around them.If the motor has to come out I think I will punt .Everything on is car is new or restored.Any ideas,thanks.

anlauto

Rich G.

Well from everything you described in your previous post, pulling the trans in with the bolts and not being able to get the car in gear with it running, my guess is the pilot bearing is so tight that the input shaft is locked in there.( at this point it's the only thing holding in the trans ) You forced it in there now you'll have to force it out. At this point I'd bolt the bellhousing back up and try to pry the trans out. Don't pry on the ears of the trans or they'll snap off. You might try spraying some WD40 at the pilot bearing if you can even see it. Did you ever start it in gear with the wheels locked?  You said you took the PP bolts off, does the disk slide on the input shaft or is it stuck on the disk?