Main Menu

727 Number Correctly Located?

Started by V Code Dave, August 21, 2021, 06:01:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

V Code Dave

:looney: I may not have looked in the correct place to find the  identifying numbers on my 727 transmission for a 1970 'Cuda. The headers made it difficult to photograph and I may have looked in the wrong place.  Is there enough shown in the photo to determine if this was the correct  spot and if the numbers shown would match BS23VOE104798? I see the 047 number in common with the VIN but am not sure what I am looking at. Thank you for your help. Dave
If these photos are not helpful because a portion is concealed, I can re-shoot. Many thanks, V-Code Dave

6bblgt

that is the correct location

the 727 transmission is from a 1969 C-body 4-door hardtop, originally behind a 383 2bbl engine

6bblgt

what are the first 2-digits?

Px43G9D130475

it would've been a Fury III or VIP assembled at the Belvidere, IL plant

V Code Dave

This could be wrong. A friend was helping me. 9918G9D18047? Thank you.

6bblgt

V Code Dave

Thank you. Soon I will take another look. I have to get her up on a hoist. However, clearly, this transmission is not what the car came with originally, is that your opinion? Do you know why the VIN, the engine and the transmission all share in  common 3 digits, the 047 numbers?  Sincerely appreciated, V-Code Dave

SgtSuperbird

Yes, it doesn't appear to be the original trans for your car. If you do any searching on this site, you'll see that there's an occasional thread about mis-stampings on drivetrain components and fender tags. But, usually it's one character, not several. There's enough in your picture to see it's very, very likely not original.
The First 4 = 4 door
The G = 383-2 bbl
The 9 = 1969
The D = Belvidere Plant

I know, it's a slight bummer.

V Code Dave

Thank you for this information. I would rather know it now, even though I bought the car in 1989. I am placing her up for sale and wanted to be clear about this.  The car was sold to me by a dealer, "His and Hers"  in Orange, California in 1989.  It was represented as matching  numbers. I didn't know enough or it wasn't that critical then that every number must match and the values were not that high to begin with, certainly like today. The transmission has worked faultlessly since she was added to our family. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer me this information. Sincerely appreciated, Dave

70 Top Banana

The serial number of my car (not the entire number) is stamped into the case on the right side of the trans