Main Menu

8-3/4 strength behind a big block

Started by dave73, September 14, 2019, 03:57:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

So I have a 440 stroker and currently been running around with my stock 8-3/4. I want to go to a b-body size rear and have just about given up trying to find a Dana and it's hard to swallow the $2500+ for a new one. There is a guy local with a 68 b body housing and axles and wants $50. Is it even worth my time to go down the road of building this and trying to strengthen it? My stroker puts out around 550ft/lb torque and is behind a 4 speed. I don't want to grenade it so maybe I should just wait a few years and buy a Dana? And hope my existing rear lasts til then?

303 Mopar

As long as your spinnin' you will be ok, but if you ever hook you are at risk.  Do it once and do it right.....get the Dana and you won't have to worry about it.

RUNCHARGER

$500 for the core, $1000 for a sure grip, gears and bearings. It won't last with sticky tires. I looked at a 4 speed, 383 Challenger yesterday that was parked with an 8 34 with broken teeth.
Sheldon

Brads70

For $50 I'd be tempted to get that b-body housing and axles....

dave73

Quote from: Brads70 on September 14, 2019, 05:28:30 PM
For $50 I'd be tempted to get that b-body housing and axles....

That's what I'm saying! I may just pick it up and hang on to it, prob still go the dana route but wouldn't hurt to have this laying around?

JonH

What are you doing with the car? There is no reason an 8 3/4 will not live behind a big block. If you only drag race go get a dana. If you are driving 80 to 90% on the street. A well built 8 3/4 will be just fine. Tire size, compound, usage, traction devices all enter into the equation. There are a lot of cars running that rear end with no issues whatsoever. Your money but I wouldn't hesitate. What were you thinking when you built the motor? It all needs to work together...

Brads70

:iagree:  What rear tires are you planning on using? If it was me, I'd grab that $50 b-body set up and run it till you have the funds for the Dana.  :alan2cents:

dodj

IMO, Spend the 50 on the 8 3/4. Stay on street tires and stay off the track until you find a dana.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: dodj on September 15, 2019, 04:18:27 AM
IMO, Spend the 50 on the 8 3/4. Stay on street tires and stay off the track until you find a dana.

Yep
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Katfish

For $50 what have you got to lose?
Even Hemi's came with the 8.75 when auto.

anlauto

no offence to the original poster...I'm just making a general comment...

I get a kick out of the guys that build these high horsepower, high torque engines and worry about breaking transmission or blowing up rear axles...but then they only ever use the car for street use anyways...cruise nights every week and the odd car show....Most of these car never see a burn out box at a drag strip, they might see a brake stand on a back country road once a Summer but that's it.... :haha:

Sounds like lots of unnecessary worrying to me, chances of blowing up a properly built 8 3/4 on the street are pretty rare :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dave73

Quote from: Katfish on September 15, 2019, 09:36:11 AM
For $50 what have you got to lose?
Even Hemi's came with the 8.75 when auto.

I'm going to pick it up, thanks all.

jordan

I have a BB stroker with 550hp/640tq with a 8.75, TruTrac, 3:23, with stock axles.  I drive hard on the street.  I have done autocross.  It gets to do burnouts.  I have 295 tires with sticky rubber.  I do not drag race, or do neutral drops.  I am not worried about my rear blowing up ever!  My tires will spin before it will hook that hard and break.   The lighter weight will help your rear suspension work better too.  And you can save a few bucks.  If you are doing 4k RPM launches with hot slicks on a prepped surface every weekend, think about the Dana.
"Don't brake until you see God!"

ply64post

The 8 3/4 was used behind max wedges, A 864, AND A 990 cars before the dana was used without any issues.

RUNCHARGER

So you think they started using the Dana 60 behind a 4 speed 440 because there were absolutely no issues? Even slicks weren't that great in the mid 60's and Chrysler deemed the Dana 60 necessary behind 375 HP, 480 ft.lb. wedges. I've seen tons of broken 8 3/4's but not many Dana 60's. I just hate to see guys waste their money on weak parts.
Sheldon