Main Menu

A33 with gear vendors or TKO or passion 5speed

Started by Fern, November 24, 2022, 08:06:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Fern

I have a rebuilt 4 speed currently and want to do more highway driving, is ot better to just add a gear venders unit ($about 3k) or buy a new TKO (6k with new driveshaft) or wait for the passion 5 speed?. What does everyone here who has the different options recommend?

anlauto

If you got a good running car with a four speed in it, why mess with it....I think I would try the gear vendors unit  :dunno: I'm not sure what's involved, but isn't it pretty much a "bolt in" ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP2

Unless something has significantly changed recently, if you get on the waitlist for a Passon unit now, you will probably be waiting 5-7 years for it to arrive.

However, Tremac also offers the TKX unit now. I think we have a couple members working on installing this unit.

GV units are bulletproof and proven.

anlauto

Quote from: HP2 on November 24, 2022, 08:17:24 AM
Unless something has significantly changed recently, if you get on the waitlist for a Passon unit now, you will probably be waiting 5-7 years for it to arrive.

:haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Fern

I meant TKX, not TKO. Didn't realize passion was still so far out.

GrandpaKevin

Passion is not the only one selling the A855 Hemi 5 speed.

This place is listing the E body A855 as available...not cheap but this would be my choice as it's a direct bolt in and is the strongest, best shifting 5 speed available. :alan2cents:

http://www.5speedmuscle.com/store/p22/Mopar_A855_E_Body.html

torredcuda

I would love an A855, says 1 available for big retainer size but looks like price has gone up to $7,000!  :wowzers:

Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dodj

Quote from: Fern on November 24, 2022, 08:06:45 AM
I have a rebuilt 4 speed currently and want to do more highway driving, is ot better to just add a gear venders unit ($about 3k) or buy a new TKO (6k with new driveshaft) or wait for the passion 5 speed?. What does everyone here who has the different options recommend?
If it were me...I'd go gear vendors. Years of proven reliability. The others may be reliable as well but will take a few years to be proven.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Fern

Quote from: torredcuda on November 24, 2022, 08:40:18 AM
I would love an A855, says 1 available for big retainer size but looks like price has gone up to $7,000!  :wowzers:

Is there a way of determining the retainer size without removing trans?

HP2

Quote from: anlauto on November 24, 2022, 08:14:20 AM
If you got a good running car with a four speed in it, why mess with it....I think I would try the gear vendors unit  :dunno: I'm not sure what's involved, but isn't it pretty much a "bolt in" ?

I believe the GV adapter replaces the stock output housing, so the trans does require some disassembly. Not exactly bolt on, but not as involved as getting into the trans case.

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on November 24, 2022, 08:36:12 AM
Passion is not the only one selling the A855 Hemi 5 speed.

This place is listing the E body A855 as available...not cheap but this would be my choice as it's a direct bolt in and is the strongest, best shifting 5 speed available. :alan2cents:

Interesting. Sounds like a partnership with Passon to tool up to higher production volume. Jamie had refused to go this route for years as he was afraid of compromises in quality.  This would definitely be a good thing as I can recall the discussions around this transmission's development way back in the '00s.  If they can produce a volume that will actually put them on the shelf, it maybe a nice option to have if an OEM look and fit are a priority. Perhaps the wait list  will drop to a year or two.

Quote from: Fern on November 25, 2022, 07:19:23 AM
Quote from: torredcuda on November 24, 2022, 08:40:18 AM

Is there a way of determining the retainer size without removing trans?

Hmmm, year of manufacture perhaps? I think there was a date cut-over then larger retainers started being used. If you can ID the vin number on the case and relate that to a car and it's date of manufacture.

Of course, on a regular A833, you could just swap the retainer to match your bell housing. OEM retainers are out there for around $80. Not sure if the A855 works the same way, but a new billet retainer for the A833 is under $200. A conversation with the 5SR guys when buying could explore the option of swapping retainers to match your bell, I would think.

rebelyell

"Is it better" is going to entirely depend on you and what your needs are.

I went TKX because I do a lot of interstate driving, am putting in a Gen 3 Hemi, and also wanted a hydraulic clutch. I'm rebuilding the rear end and needed a new driveshaft anyway so it made sense for me to get one of these rather than rebuild the stock 833 and put a gear vendors unit in. I also didn't care about originality even though I'm not modifying anything that can't be undone at some point.

If you're just wanting more gears and want to stay relatively stock, in my opinion, I think you're best served with a gear vendors unit. I couldn't justify the cost of a whole new transmission over bolting on the GV unit.

cha74ngr

i have passion 4 speed hemi overdrive. i waited almost a year.

anlauto

Quote from: cha74ngr on December 17, 2022, 01:02:29 PM
i have passion 4 speed hemi overdrive. i waited almost a year.

I'm doing a Demon right now and the owner waited for ever for a Passon 4 speed overdrive, only because he thought the wait for the Passon 5 speed was going to be too long :haha:

Fastmark

I've done several conversions, except the 855. You can't depend on getting one of those so you might as well not consider it. The first I did was a Tremec. It has been a pain in the a$$ ever since the install. Terrible ratio, can't shift it, etc. I've done two installs of the Passon hemi od gears. The spread is too wide. They make some noise and he's had trouble with the manufacturer. I could not get the last set to even fit. Tolerances  were way to tight. So I've been going with the Gear vendor. Great piece and the customers love them. No complains from anyone on these.

70rag383

I have the TKO-600 5-speed. 5 years and 11,000 miles and no issues at all. The car is a lot of fun to drive and great on the highway.