Main Menu

A833 number question

Started by Joegrapes, February 10, 2020, 07:18:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Joegrapes

Can anyone make sense of the numbers stamped on my 4 speed? It's not original to the car. The 3799 date code has me confused. If I'm reading the 10,000 day calendar right there isn't 379 days in a year.

Joegrapes

I'm just trying to identify this trans I pick up years ago. I changed my auto to a 4 speed so it has the right tail shaft for an E-body and it's not an overdrive. It's work fine over the years.

Joegrapes

Tail shaft casting number.

Joegrapes

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

The serial # also confirms

Joegrapes

Thanks. I must be dense but I still don't get how you come up with Dec 22, 1971 from 3799. 😂. When I bought the trans I was told it came out of a 1972 Roadrunner. I guess the guy was right.

anlauto

Quote from: Joegrapes on February 10, 2020, 10:27:20 AM
Thanks. I must be dense but I still don't get how you come up with Dec 22, 1971 from 3799. 😂. When I bought the trans I was told it came out of a 1972 Roadrunner. I guess the guy was right.

This web site has fantastic resources on our main page, never forget to look there first !

Because your 1st digit in the VIN is a "2" we know that it came out of a 1972 car. So then we look up the 10,000 day calendar for the 1972 model year and find 3799....and presto there it is :banana:
  https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/mopar-chrysler-10000-day-calendar-date-code/1972-model-year-engine-trans/
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Joegrapes

Ha, I was just coming back to say I found it! The 10,000 day calendar starts on July 29, 1961. That is day one. I found a site where all you need do is type in the 4 digit code and the site spits out the date. Thanks again 😀.

ply64post

anlauto

BigSig 6 Barrel

Who knows what it originally came out of . . . .
Is it just me, or do I see several clues that indicate it's been re-stamped sometime in it's past ???

~ A Wise Man Knows He Isn't

6bblgt

looks legit to me  :takealook:
I don't have a ton of '72 Windsor, ONT data, but 2R219266 would be appropriate for a January '72 built Road Runner

BigSig 6 Barrel

Settled then !!

. . . I'm not about to argue my point with a leading expert on this subject!

:bigthumb:

~ A Wise Man Knows He Isn't

anlauto

We're all here to learn....What were the "clues" you were thinking about ?