Main Menu

A833 with od won’t mate to engine 😠

Started by Purepony, November 21, 2020, 10:49:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

Quote from: ek3 on November 21, 2020, 01:47:50 PM
IF the trans. goes all the way up flush with out the disc, then you are simply not aligned .. I find and old input shaft works better than the plastic tool you get in a kit. it may take 2-3 times but you should loosen the pressure plate up and wiggle the tool in all directions to get the disc centered .. they can be mean, but that sounds like all it is if it goes on without the disc.........did you check engine rotation with only the p.plate and disc installed ? the - wrong -  p.plate can hit the bellhousing !!

Correct me if I'm wrong I should remove the clutch disk and try to attempt to install it with the pressure plate on only to see if that causes any interference?

Do you know if the shaft from the 8904 is the same as this because I do have the old a 904 that I'm going to scrap I wouldn't mind taking the shaft out of that to use it to align with this?

And yes everything goes in without the clutch disk and the pressure plate it meets up perfectly

Purepony

Quote from: JS29 on November 21, 2020, 11:57:38 AM
Yes and or break an ear off of the transmission.   :yes:

Screw that lolz o don't wanna find out

anlauto

Okay...time for dumb questions....Do you have the same spline count on the clutch disc as the transmission ?

Mopar had two....23 spline and 18 spline.

If you break an ear off transmission or crack the bellhousing....you're using too much force. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Does the 833 OD bolt up to the bellhousing ok? As I understand it you need to machine down the bearing retainer to fit the bellhousing?

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: anlauto on November 21, 2020, 05:22:52 PM
Okay...time for dumb questions....Do you have the same spline count on the clutch disc as the transmission ?

If you break an ear off transmission or crack the bellhousing....you're using too much force. :alan2cents:

As anlauto said, 23-spline or 18-spline input shaft? Tell us which one you have and whether the clutch disc spline count matches.

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: Brads70 on November 21, 2020, 05:53:58 PM
Does the 833 OD bolt up to the bellhousing ok? As I understand it you need to machine down the bearing retainer to fit the bellhousing?
Matt King wrote a great article on how to deal with the larger OD bearing retainer when converting. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/40618-a-833-manual-transmission-swap/
Here is a chart of bearing retainers with sizes. OD A833 uses the largest outside diameter of 5.125".

Purepony

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on November 21, 2020, 06:26:41 PM
Quote from: anlauto on November 21, 2020, 05:22:52 PM

I have the 23 spline. Clutch goes in it's also 23 spline.
It goes in half way but then stops
As anlauto said, 23-spline or 18-spline input shaft? Tell us which one you have and whether the clutch disc spline count matches.

Purepony

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on November 21, 2020, 06:30:32 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on November 21, 2020, 05:53:58 PM
Matt King wrote a great article on how to deal with the larger OD bearing retainer when converting. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/40618-a-833-manual-transmission-swap/
Here is a chart of bearing retainers with sizes. OD A833 uses the largest outside diameter of 5.125".

Bell housing bolts up to trans no problem everything bolts up when I remove the clutch disc and pressure plate.

Clutch disc goes into the trans shaft.

I'm going to try again tomorrow and post pictures for you guys hopefully that will give everyone a better understanding. Maybe I'm not explaining it right or hopefully you guys see something I don't

Thanks everyone for today. I'll update some pics tomororw

ek3

Quote from: Purepony on November 21, 2020, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: ek3 on November 21, 2020, 01:47:50 PM
IF the trans. goes all the way up flush with out the disc, then you are simply not aligned .. I find and old input shaft works better than the plastic tool you get in a kit. it may take 2-3 times but you should loosen the pressure plate up and wiggle the tool in all directions to get the disc centered .. they can be mean, but that sounds like all it is if it goes on without the disc.........did you check engine rotation with only the p.plate and disc installed ? the - wrong -  p.plate can hit the bellhousing !!

Correct me if I'm wrong I should remove the clutch disk and try to attempt to install it with the pressure plate on only to see if that causes any interference?

Do you know if the shaft from the 8904 is the same as this because I do have the old a 904 that I'm going to scrap I wouldn't mind taking the shaft out of that to use it to align with this?

And yes everything goes in without the clutch disk and the pressure plate it meets up perfectly
>>>>>>[[ the 904 wont work on a clutch ]] so we have the retainer collar is good ... no binding at the pressure plate to bel housing.. it will rotate inside the belhousing  with clutch and p.plate  installed ? if that's good , your problem is in the disc.  check to see if it fits your 23 spline trans main shaft. if it does , then you will need to re-install the disc making certain that it is centered in the pressure plate. the smallest misalignment will cause an interference and make it tough to go in. I have left the pressure plate bolts as  loose as possible until I slid the tranny in and go back and tighten them down. this will allow the disc to self center a little if your off. if you have an old drive shaft yoke, put it in the tail shaft and use it to twist/wiggle  the main shaft while pushing the tranny into place [ to help them mesh]..... pulling it on up in there  with trans bolts is not the best way to do it ... it is all in the alignment. you may need to -very -lightly lube [wd40] the splines .check that the disc slides up the main shaft  without binding before installing it to be sure its free.

1 Wild R/T

What are you using to align the disc?  The best thing is a spare input shaft... The plastic alignment tool with splines if okay but not great, the old adapter shaft with cones needs a skilled operator....

Sometimes when the trans goes in most of the way having someone release the clutch while you try getting the trans to slide in the rest of the way helps....  Either have the clutch linkage connected & step on the clutch pedal or use a pry bar on the clutch fork to release the clutch....

I agree with EK3 on this

"I have left the pressure plate bolts as  loose as possible until I slid the tranny in and go back and tighten them down. this will allow the disc to self center a little if your off."

I also agree " pulling it on up in there  with trans bolts is not the best way to do it ..."

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 21, 2020, 07:37:34 PM

I also agree " pulling it on up in there  with trans bolts is not the best way to do it ..."

I'm not talking pulling it in three inches...I mean once everything is lined up, the bearing retainer is started into the bellhousing....use longer bolts to draw it in the last 1/4" -5/16" or so....I've never had one that just plops right in so there is no gap between the tranny and housing... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jim AAR

Do you have the correct Clutch Fork? And Thrust Bearing?

If you are putting it on out of the car, pull the clutch fork toward you as you push the Trans in while wiggling the trans shaft, it's easier if you slide your yoke in.

JS29

I have had  long bolt's in the bell-housing with the head's cut off to help guide it, And I NEVER bolt the transmission up until it is flush to the bell-housing!!!   :alan2cents: And yes an old input shaft work the best.

Purepony

Update !

Finally went in and not sure what it was but I took it all apart again.

Removed clutch pressure and clutch disc then reinstalled everything, aligned and torqued then installed trans oh I also used 5 really long bolts to slide it in  and it's in now.

I'm just glad it's finally in! Going to work on the linkage and the bracket

Chryco Psycho