Main Menu

Driving without an air filter?

Started by Poolshark314, September 29, 2020, 02:19:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Poolshark314

Is driving with no air filter a terrible idea or am I just being paranoid??? I saw a listing for a Cuda with a 528 Indy crate motor, and noticed in the pics there was no air cleaner on top of the EFI throttle bodies, so I asked and he said there is no air cleaner on it!! Is that not just asking for motor trouble from dirt and debris or am I missing something?
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

dodj

I'm thinking the air cleaner was off so you could see the induction system?

I hope....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Really ? I don't think that would be a good idea... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Scooter

Nope.. bad idea.. EFI setup too.

I'll go filter less when I'm tweaking the carb on occasion, that's about it.

Poolshark314

Quote from: dodj on September 29, 2020, 02:46:41 PM
I'm thinking the air cleaner was off so you could see the induction system?

I hope....

Nope, he said it doesn't even have an air filter right now...
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Chryco Psycho

How fast does an air filter get dirty & it is usually in a better situation than wide open , all of that dirt would go through the engine !!
Even at the race track I always ran a filter just in case a rock was picked up from a tire , no way I want rocks inside my engine !!

Poolshark314

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 29, 2020, 04:44:07 PM
How fast does an air filter get dirty & it is usually in a better situation than wide open , all of that dirt would go through the engine !!
Even at the race track I always ran a filter just in case a rock was picked up from a tire , no way I want rocks inside my engine !!

Exactly! And it was crazy to me because no one else even seemed to care that it had no filter on it! Who knows how long the engine has been running like that!!!
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

RUNCHARGER

I wouldn't take a chance either. As CP says I even run an aircleaner at the track.
Sheldon

Racer57

Just because the pic shows no aircleaner and he says he don't have one for it doesn't mean anything. Did he say whether the engine had even been fired ? Was it just fired up and possibly only driven around the block ? Or was the car driven that way extensively ?

Poolshark314

Quote from: Racer57 on September 29, 2020, 08:14:27 PM
Just because the pic shows no aircleaner and he says he don't have one for it doesn't mean anything. Did he say whether the engine had even been fired ? Was it just fired up and possibly only driven around the block ? Or was the car driven that way extensively ?

Yes he is shown driving the car in sample videos and said he doesn't have a filter installed...in fact he doesn't even have the stud installed into the throttle body to install an air filter
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

I had a Kawasaki 400 Triple with three K&N filters , one fell off  I ran a lot of miles that way, that cylinder and piston had incredible damage and play when engine finally gave out,.
I even feel stupid running my push lawnmower without the filter.

MoparLeo

:tool: :stop: :stop: :foul:The consensus is, That is dumb, poor engine maintenance. Only bad things can or have happened internally. Why not just save time and pour sand through the throttle body. That is exactly what is happening. Since when were filters optional on the street ? Everybody knows that they stop Covid-19 ??
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

mopar jack

surprised no ones mentioned backfires with no filter!

Scooter

Quote from: MoparLeo on October 02, 2020, 03:47:01 PM
:tool: :stop: :stop: :foul:The consensus is, That is dumb, poor engine maintenance. Only bad things can or have happened internally. Why not just save time and pour sand through the throttle body. That is exactly what is happening. Since when were filters optional on the street ? Everybody knows that they stop Covid-19 ??

:D