Main Menu

Holley carb and EFI conversion

Started by WCC, May 18, 2018, 04:34:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Strawdawg

If I were making more than 600 hp, I would be going to port injection instead of tbi.  I have not dug into the Holley enuf to know if pfi is an option, or not.
Steve

Mopsquad

I'm in the process of doing the Holley HP setup with dual TB's under a shaker.  Using port injection, its considerably more work than the TB injection but the diriveablity, potential for tuning with add- ons in the future, is worth it IMHO.

gravyboy

I know someone here in New Zealand that put a Fast system on his big block pontiac. Spent hours on the phone to Fast and sent parts back twice and still had problems.He is a mechanic. That put me off. And the workshop dynoing my car has a 572 Hemi Roadrunner with twin Fitech TBI they are having trouble tuning. Apparently they are hard to overide the self learning and the RR has a 750 lift cam so no vacuum at idle. Also very hard to start. He should have used a big dominator carb or a proper aftermarket computer and multi point injection.
The TBI still has some of the disadvantages of a carb and aint cheap...

Strawdawg

Neil listed his system above.  I would probably use the Meqasquirt 3 to do one today as I have friends running them on Buicks with success in spite of all the words of doom put out by FAST tuners.  I note several of them are suddenly installing them after claiming they would never work on a turbo buick.
Steve

WCC

Quote from: Mopsquad on May 18, 2018, 01:49:39 PM
I'm in the process of doing the Holley HP setup with dual TB's under a shaker.  Using port injection, its considerably more work than the TB injection but the diriveablity, potential for tuning with add- ons in the future, is worth it IMHO.
That's just eye candy. Gorgeous motor and neat engine bay.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Strawdawg on May 18, 2018, 01:46:03 PM
If I were making more than 600 hp, I would be going to port injection instead of tbi.  I have not dug into the Holley enuf to know if pfi is an option, or not.

I agree, but the Charger hood will not allow enough clearance for any port injection set up that I've found.

ledphoot

Quote from: Brads70 on May 18, 2018, 11:51:53 AM
Quote from: ledphoot on May 18, 2018, 08:27:49 AM
That is correct. Sorry I was not more specific but that is my understanding.

BTW - I have the complete Holley Sniper System and their distributor on my bench and my brother has the MSD Atomic system.

I decided to go with this setup rather than the custom setup I got from Rich Nedbal in order to avoid cutting a hole in my firewall for the wiring harness.

If anybody is interested in a custom EFI system for a small block mopar with a F.A.S.T. EFI computer let me know ;).

What's the part # on the fast computer?

30-DCL-ECU

RCman

I installed the Holley Sniper setup late last summer with a stock points distributor on my 383. Yes, points. It was a huge improvement over the carb but still had some minor cold start idle quality issues. Honestly I may have been able to sort them out with some tuning but I didn't even try. I probably put 5-600 miles on it with points. I used the Sniper tank (Tanks Inc) and an Aeromotive 11540 fuel pump inside.

This spring I sprung for the Holley Dual Sync. Holy cow I should have done it last summer. The engine idles beautifully, starts instantly, runs tip top all the way through the rpm curve. The ability to dial in 2 degrees of timing at a certain rpm range simply with a few finger clicks is great. I have about 300 miles on the it now with the distributor and I look forward to turning the key every time.]

I would strongly recommend the Holley Sniper EFI setup. I mainly chose it over the FiTech because of the availability of the distributor. It truly is almost plug and play. Everything is very well labeled to boot.

Edit: I initially installed it with the wiring harness that was on the car and made a small jumper with a diode at the ballast resistor for the pink keyed ignition wire. Worked well. When I recently installed the Dual Sync distributor I also purchased a new replacement harness for points from M&H and modified that. There is very little to change but it was nice to clean up the wiring and firewall (remove the resistor) while I was at it. Even if wiring isn't your thing don't fret the Sniper setup (and I'll assume like units too) really are easy to install.
One other thing to note is my old stock alternator could not keep up with the electric pump and EFI demands. I was draining the battery. Maybe a fresh new unit would but rather than risk it I used a Denso unit from a 4cyl 4Runner, with the AREngineering brackets, fuse, and a new 4 ga charge wire eliminating the ammeter.

RUNCHARGER

My son has been running a Sniper on this for about 2 years. Not a bit of trouble, I installed a Fitech on a car and we couldn't run the MSD through it like you are supposed to and the owner had trouble with it later, that was on a street car. I would do the Sniper. I also believe in the future parts availability will probably be best with the Sniper.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Sorry after having been screwed by Holley on an early EFI system I'm not going give them a second shot.... I think what really pissed me off was how every magazine raved about what a great system it was.... Advertising $$$ vs integrity guess which wins every time?  I don't feel bad seeing lots of car magazines going belly up either....  :banana:

Chryco Psycho

I love the twin T bodies on the Hemi , cannot wait until this runs , should be awesome !!
I agree with Wild that the first Holley EFI system were garbage , reluctant to try again as we did not get much support in the past unfortunatley

ledphoot

If any of you guys has any issues with fuel injection, contact Rich Nedbal @ http://www.fastmanefi.com

He is THE MAN in EFI, one of the smartest guys I have ever met.

Brads70

Quote from: ledphoot on May 19, 2018, 12:19:59 AM
If any of you guys has any issues with fuel injection, contact Rich Nedbal @ http://www.fastmanefi.com

He is THE MAN in EFI, one of the smartest guys I have ever met.

I agree, IF I make the switch I'll be buying everything through him.

RUNCHARGER

You bet, Rich is the go to guy alright. For a cheap store bought system though the others will work. This looked pretty enough but it had to be sent back once.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

This will not fit under a Charger Hood ? 
I bet a Holley street dom could be drilled & fit with a Accfab T body too