Main Menu

Holley carb and EFI conversion

Started by WCC, May 18, 2018, 04:34:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

WCC

Am seriously considering doing an EFI conversion on my Cuda. I currently have a Holley 80531 carb (440 motor) - has anybody done this and did you go with a Holley EFI option?
I'd appreciated any feedback, good or bad.

Brads70

I have no experience but have been researching EFI as well. From what I understand if your engine has less that 10" of vacuum at idle in gear then the self learning throttle body types are not best suited for that engine. If you have a relatively stock engine they seem to work great. Holley, FAST, FI Tech are popular. It's best to have a return style of regulator for long pump life and cooler fuel.
I'm leaning towards a FAST sportsman or XFI 2.0 system because of the camshaft in my engine that produces about 6" of vacuum at idle in gear.   

http://www.fastmanefi.com/

Chryco Psycho

I built my own system using a variety of parts
For a computer I used SDSEFI , great system that comes complete with a handheld programmer , $1500
Bosch injectors - $800
Accufab Throttle body  $400
Edelbrock Victor intake predrilled with fuel rails -$400
Bosh fuel pressure regulator - $180
I recommend the Tanks system tank & pump $500

RUNCHARGER

For a bolt on throttle body system I think I would try the Holley setup. Almost everyone I have talked to lately with a Fitech has had some sort of issues. As stated above the throttle body setups work well with a mild engine.
I don't believe I'll ever diddle with a carb again unless it is a restored car. these new systems are pretty easy to install and tune even for an old guy like me.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

I'm 2 weeks away from having the Holley Sniper EFI installed on my 505 stroker in the Charger and will let you know.   :banana:

ledphoot

Looks like a great setup. My understanding is it works better when combined with their distributor.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotrod.com/articles/test-holleys-new-sniper-efi/amp/

Strawdawg

I missed the part where it said it ran better with their distributor :clueless:
Steve

303 Mopar

Quote from: Strawdawg on May 18, 2018, 07:46:36 AM
I missed the part where it said it ran better with their distributor :clueless:

I believe it runs better with their distributor because the Sniper is allowed to control the timing.  So, if you have a distributor that is compatible with the Sniper timing control, not necessarily the Holley distributor, it would also run better.

ledphoot

That is correct. Sorry I was not more specific but that is my understanding.

BTW - I have the complete Holley Sniper System and their distributor on my bench and my brother has the MSD Atomic system.

I decided to go with this setup rather than the custom setup I got from Rich Nedbal in order to avoid cutting a hole in my firewall for the wiring harness.

If anybody is interested in a custom EFI system for a small block mopar with a F.A.S.T. EFI computer let me know ;).

jamesroney

After many iterations of various carburetors, I installed the FI Tech system last month on my 1970 383 Cuda.  The install took one weekend, using the complete FI tech throttle body, and fuel pump system.  I kept my existing MOPAR Electronic Ignition and distributor.

It runs better than it ever has.  No issues or complaints yet.  (and all reversible.) 

I might have been happier with the in tank pump, and it probably would have cost about the same...but happy for now.
BS23N0E

Strawdawg

Yeah, I understood it to be a compatible aftermarket unit :)

The FITech and the Holley Sniper are the most attractive from my perspective.  I would like to have more history with both of them to have an idea as to which has the better service record.  I have not forgotten my experiences with a Holley tbi from the '80's but right now, I might be convinced to give Holley another shot.

The Sniper Master pack is a pretty good price as compared to getting an in the tank set up with a new tank.  I would think the in tank set up would get longer pump life but that is pure conjecture on my part.
Steve

Brads70

Quote from: ledphoot on May 18, 2018, 08:27:49 AM
That is correct. Sorry I was not more specific but that is my understanding.

BTW - I have the complete Holley Sniper System and their distributor on my bench and my brother has the MSD Atomic system.

I decided to go with this setup rather than the custom setup I got from Rich Nedbal in order to avoid cutting a hole in my firewall for the wiring harness.

If anybody is interested in a custom EFI system for a small block mopar with a F.A.S.T. EFI computer let me know ;).

What's the part # on the fast computer?

TheAutoArchaeologist

That's what I have sitting on my shelf is a Sniper EFI.

Get a Spectra EFI tank for the car, get the corvette fuel filter and a locked out distributor and you are good to go.
Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.barnfinds.org

WCC

Awesome feedback, thanks guys. I am really sold on the sniper as well. Has anybody had issues with a shaker hood and using the bolt on throttle body?

mopar thunder

Has anyone tried, looked into, the Holey Sniper Stealth? It may be too new yet. It's a lot more than a street car could use but was just wondering if anyone has tried it on something else. It's based on the 4500 Dominator. Supposed to be good from 800HP - 1500HP. I got a quote from Holley on a system matched to my configuration and it turned out to be $3800 not including all the good options.