Main Menu

Holley sniper fuel line

Started by fireguyfire, July 17, 2021, 06:05:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I've got a Holley sniper kit on my 73 challenger (that has a 1970 383 in it) and I've been really happy with it, other than the pump kit that came with it.
I decided to go with the Holley in tank (factory tank) pump for these cars for a few reasons.
One of them is that it eliminates the need for a return line as it had one in the tank on this system.
I still have the high pressure soft line that came with the kit running from the tank to the Sniper. I am now debating about running this new set up through the stock factory fuel line which looks in good shape (which they say you can do in the directions) or to stick with the soft line from front to back.
I know the soft line is perishable over time, but if the hard line had any corrosion they can show minor leaks under pressure.
What did you guys and gals do out there in this situation, and if you had to do it again, which would you use?

GrandpaKevin

I'm interested in the responses as I'm no expert with the Sniper but am seriously thinking of installing one.

I would think if the high pressure soft line was supplied by Holley with the Sniper kit it should be good enough for the system but I also don't see why the factory steel line wouldn't hold up just as well as long as good soft lines are used at both ends.

How is the Holley stock type in tank pickup/pump working so far?

worthywads

Well I just went through that decision and I replaced my 50 year old 5/16" line with new 3/8".  I didn't really like the idea of rubber hose all along the underside.  More than likely the old line would have worked fine, but they recommended 3/8" even thought the in tank fuel pump actually comes with a stepped 5/16" to 3/8" so they give you the option to use 5/16".

I also didn't like the idea of running fuel pump wiring outside so I ran the wiring into the trunk through a round rubber grommet right above the tank and ran all wiring up under the carpet through another oval grommet to the left of the brake pedal (is that for clutch linkage?).

I also mounted the ignition control box under the dash up to the left of that same grommet.

I fired it up first time today and put 5 miles on it including some full throttle to 80-90 mph blasts to let it learn how I usually beat on it.

First impression, I set idle at 800 rpm and 18 degrees and it idles much smoother than the old Carb that liked 1050 rpm to stay running.  Used to need to 2 foot the brake and gas pedal to maintain idle when cold, and even when warm it would dog and want to die in gear sometimes when coming to a stop.

Happy so far.

MoparCarGuy

Some observations on your EFI fuel system. Your system is pretty good the way it is now.
The fuel supply line from the tank to the Sniper throttle body is recommended at 3/8" or larger. Fuel hose is measured by I.D. while hard lines are measured by O.D.   The fuel hose you already have installed for the supply line is 3/8" I.D. which will supply more fuel than a factory hard fuel line that is either 5/16" or 3/8" O.D.   If I read you correctly, you are running the in-tank pump that has a return line bypass at the tank which does not require a separate return line. That will keep the fuel pump cool with constant flow but does not offer additional cooling of your fuel supply line to the throttle body. You already have the factory hard line there that can be repurposed as a second return line in addition to the built-in return on your in-tank pump. That will keep the full fuel system circulating. Your system is pretty good the way it is now.
My only recommendation would be to add an external regulator at some point since the internal regulator on the Sniper throttle body has its own issues that can wreak havoc on your fuel pressure.