Main Menu

What's the best way to change the oil filter on a 440 with power steering?

Started by Poolshark314, April 22, 2023, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

Looks like you need to reroute the transmission line to radiator for clearance?

Skdmark

Quote from: Katfish on April 23, 2023, 10:24:56 AM
Looks like you need to reroute the transmission line to radiator for clearance?

I was thinking the same thing.
The bump out radius in the trans line didn't look right to me. It should be more squared off and not as wide/tall.

Here is an image from inline tube
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

blown motor

My belt is routed the same as yours. The pics are from the 440 in my Charger but I doubt it should be any different, it's still a 440 with power steering. I have lots of clearance between the belt and filter. The end of the filter extends past the belt. The third picture shows the position of the bolt in the slot on the power steering pump bracket for tightening the belt. Crazy thought but I'd your belt too long? A shorter belt will pivot the pump upwards. Maybe it has something to do with the pulley sizes which will effect the belt length and ultimately the position of the pump.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Poolshark314

Quote from: blown motor on April 23, 2023, 10:38:48 AM
My belt is routed the same as yours. The pics are from the 440 in my Charger but I doubt it should be any different, it's still a 440 with power steering. I have lots of clearance between the belt and filter. The end of the filter extends past the belt. The third picture shows the position of the bolt in the slot on the power steering pump bracket for tightening the belt. Crazy thought but I'd your belt too long? A shorter belt will pivot the pump upwards. Maybe it has something to do with the pulley sizes which will effect the belt length and ultimately the position of the pump.

First picture is from below showing the bolt position to the mounting bracket. Second picture shows the bracket in relation to the block from above. I don't see any other mounting holes in the block for that stud to go, so I just don't see how I could get that mounted higher. Am I missing something or using a different pump and bracket than you guys?
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

blown motor

Your bracket is definitely different than mine. Mine extends in under the A/C pump. It doesn't show that well in my third picture above. The red arrows in the pictures below point to the location of the top bolt. It's a very different bracket from yours.

HP2

I suspect poolshark has the rv style power steering pump brackets. The brackets look different and it appears to  sit lower down towards the filter than a standard automotive bracket.

Might need to remove the belt and pivot the pump up to get the filter out. Then you can decide if its easier to replace the PS brackets or trans cooler lines.

Poolshark314

@blown motor definitely seems like a saginaw bracket. I can't seem to find mine anywhere. Do you think there would be any issues on an RV block switching to the saginaw style bracket and a longer belt to move the power steering up higher?
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

blown motor

@Poolshark314  As long as the bracket bolts right on then I don't see why there would be a problem.

erat340

OK. Cut that tie strap holding the trans lines together, loosen line nut at rad, and you should twist line enuf to sqeek out filter and squeeze in new. Save up $ to replace that nonsencical trans line!

dodj

Quote from: Poolshark314 on April 23, 2023, 07:07:03 AM
Quote from: dodj on April 23, 2023, 04:02:08 AM
The 440 in my car is a '76 and belt routing is similar to poolsharks. However, I just need to deflect the belt with my finger just a bit to slip the filter in there. I don't remove it or loosen it. I do it from above...and with a QA1 K member the oil mess isn't nearly as bad as with a stock K member.

Thanks! Does your belt route above or below your oil filter?
Belt routes above the filter. Sorry for the slow reply.
Forgot about the thread.
We need a software modification where you get notices/indication at the top of the page that a thread you posted in has a reply. Most other forums I'm involved with have it where you get a little red flag/alarm bell/red dot at the top letting you know. 'cudahunter mentioned it previously but didn't get action. Maybe it's a feature forums pay for?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

blown motor

@dodj  At the top of the page, below your name, it says "Show new replies to your posts". Just tap on that.

dodj

Quote from: blown motor on May 03, 2023, 06:19:57 AM
@dodj  At the top of the page, below your name, it says "Show new replies to your posts". Just tap on that.
Thanks Murray!
It was hidden right in front of me...lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill