Main Menu

What's the best way to change the oil filter on a 440 with power steering?

Started by Poolshark314, April 22, 2023, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Poolshark314

Doesn't seem to be an easy way to get to the oil filter from above. It seems like the power steering pump or the belt are always in the way. Do you guys normally take the belt off? Do you drop part of the K member?
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

JH27N0B

I always took the oil filters off my 383 and my 440 from underneath.
Now if could only figure out a way to do it without oil pouring on the K member and making a mess that would be nice!

7dcuda

Quote from: JH27N0B on April 22, 2023, 04:52:16 PM
I always took the oil filters off my 383 and my 440 from underneath.
Now if could only figure out a way to do it without oil pouring on the K member and making a mess that would be nice!

Do a Google search for Harley Davidson oil filter drain funnel.  They have a couple different styles/shapes and are used for the same reason.  I would think one of those would work.

Poolshark314

Sorry I didn't explain clearly. I tried accessing both from above and underneath. Underneath, the belt and the power steering pump is in the way, as well as the k member.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

JH27N0B

Brads70

Quote from: Poolshark314 on April 22, 2023, 07:01:35 PM
Sorry I didn't explain clearly. I tried accessing both from above and underneath. Underneath, the belt and the power steering pump is in the way, as well as the k member.

Power steering pump seems to be mounted pretty low? Got a picture from above?  :huh:

Poolshark314

above along with better lit below
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Brads70

I suspect something is wrong with your power steering pump mounting? Never seen one mounted that low before? The belt should be above the filter. Google "1970 dodge challenger belt route with a/c "  and click on images to see what I mean?

Poolshark314

Quote from: Brads70 on April 22, 2023, 07:59:34 PM
I suspect something is wrong with your power steering pump mounting? Never seen one mounted that low before? The belt should be above the filter. Google "1970 dodge challenger belt route with a/c "  and click on images to see what I mean?

Yes my belts are routed much differently. The belt that is interfering is the furthest frontward belt and is on the power steering pump, clutch fan, and crankshaft. The rest of the accessories are on 2 matching belts behind it.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Poolshark314

I just found other pictures that mirror my setup
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

dodj

The 440 in my car is a '76 and belt routing is similar to poolsharks. However, I just need to deflect the belt with my finger just a bit to slip the filter in there. I don't remove it or loosen it. I do it from above...and with a QA1 K member the oil mess isn't nearly as bad as with a stock K member.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

In your picture it looks like the crank pulley and power steering pully are almost parallel as is the belt almost parallel with the ground plane. Which would place the belt right in the way of the oil filter.  Hence my confusion.

Poolshark314

Quote from: dodj on April 23, 2023, 04:02:08 AM
The 440 in my car is a '76 and belt routing is similar to poolsharks. However, I just need to deflect the belt with my finger just a bit to slip the filter in there. I don't remove it or loosen it. I do it from above...and with a QA1 K member the oil mess isn't nearly as bad as with a stock K member.

Thanks! Does your belt route above or below your oil filter?
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

blown motor

What 440 do you have? I have two of them and on both the oil filter points forward, not towards the tire.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Poolshark314

Quote from: blown motor on April 23, 2023, 07:10:52 AM
What 440 do you have? I have two of them and on both the oil filter points forward, not towards the tire.

Later 70s RV 440. The oil filter points forward. It is not mounted in the picture, I just cannot get the oil filter out from the engine bay. Sorry for the confusion
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD