Main Menu

How do I tell for sure if I dropped a lifter

Started by usraptor, September 20, 2017, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: I agree the camshaft looks fine. Why a problem on one cylinder just doesn't add up to me though, No 3 is mid oil galley too. Maybe just coincidence two bad lifters ended up on the same cylinder. Are both pushrods straight? Also are both valve tips even with the other valve tips on that bank with the rocker gear removed?
Sheldon

usraptor

Runcharger, you hit the nail on the head. I just went out and checked and the both valves stems in Cylinder No. 3 are lower than the rest.  What would cause the valves not to full close?  Bent Valves? 

Brads70

Quote from: usraptor on September 22, 2017, 05:51:15 PM
Runcharger, you hit the nail on the head. I just went out and checked and the both valves stems in Cylinder No. 3 are lower than the rest.  What would cause the valves not to full close?  Bent Valves?

How much lower? Can you test compression on that cylinder?

usraptor

Didn't measure but running a straight edge across all the vale stems looks to be apprx 3/8".  Haven't tried to run a compression check yet.

Brads70

Quote from: usraptor on September 22, 2017, 06:17:18 PM
Didn't measure but running a straight edge across all the vale stems looks to be apprx 3/8".  Haven't tried to run a compression check yet.

Wow that is significant!  :o  maybe see if that cylinder will hold compressed air ?  Was it always low or is this something new? I'm guessing it's a new issues? 

Brads70

Does the valve spring for that cylinder look the same as the rest? Like maybe broken springs? Did someone install new valve seats? You might be pulling the head off to have a good look at whats going on?

734406PK

Quote from: usraptor on September 22, 2017, 05:51:15 PM

Yes either bent valves or they both have seized in the guides for some reason. I agree, air test #3 cylinder. Hung/bent valves will leak 100%. Good luck!

usraptor

New aluminum heads, came assembled.  I'll try the compression test.  Yes, it's a new development.  Just seems weird that both valves would do the same exact thing on the same exact cylinder.  I agree I'll probably end up pulling the head to see what's going on.  :pullinghair:

734406PK

I agree! With 3/8" of valve stem depression on cylinder #3, pulling that head seems inevitable IMO. Sorry!

Brads70

uggg I'm guessing the valve seats are the issue. They are about 3/8" thick.  :crying: Other wise it would be pretty coincidental to have 2 valve on the same cylinder seize up at the same amount....
Hope I'm wrong though.  :Thud: :grouphug:

Shane Kelley

:popcorn:curious to see what ends up being the issue here.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Brads70 on September 22, 2017, 07:01:17 PM
uggg I'm guessing the valve seats are the issue. They are about 3/8" thick.  :crying: Other wise it would be pretty coincidental to have 2 valve on the same cylinder seize up at the same amount....
Hope I'm wrong though.  :Thud: :grouphug:

Unfortunately I think Brad has nailed it....  Who's heads? Not that it really matters, any brand could have a problem...

usraptor

Yeah me too.  Pro-Maxx heads BTW.  Very happy with them up until this point and until I get the head off really can't say it's their problem.

RUNCHARGER

Darn: Let us know what you find. It is either both valves bent the same (totally unlikely) or both seats out, more likely there is a chunk of something holding both valves open. Sounds like a head pull anyway.
Sheldon

Brads70

Oh well that sounds not as bad as I had figured, or did the valve hit the piston?  Here's to hoping it's just your pride that's wounded!