Main Menu

360 LA lifter replacement

Started by Scooter, September 04, 2020, 01:32:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Good news/bad news.

So I think i finally figured out what the "tick~ping" under load is, lifter is going away on #3.

Heard a pretty good lifter knock first fire-up after I replaced the headers and exhaust.

Cleaned up after first run, but suspected a lifter was still not doing so hot.

Pulled the plugs and all have a nice tanish finish except #3.. a little moist from fuel/incomplete burn. 

Car idles and other wise runs normally, so I think the lifter is just marginal and has not done any serious damage like flattening a cam lobe.

Pulled the valve cover, removed the rocker assembly & checked pushrods.

Nothing bent & lifters seem to move freely when I hook the retaining clip with a scribe. 

Bought a full replacement set of Comp hydraulic lifters and the tool to remove them. Don't know if I'll need the tool, but it was on sale for $3.

Already have a bottle of Comp red camshaft/lifter installation lube and I will probably add a bottle of Comp cam break in juice to the oil just to be safe. 

I'm going to attempt w/o removing the intake, looks like decent access to all 16 thru the heads.

Stock iron 360 LA heads and rocker assemblies.

1) Any sage advice b4 I jump in?

2) Can someone verify the rocker assy. bolt torque spec at 17 ft. -lbs.? Bolts appeared to have Locktight installed by builder, is this common practice?

Chryco Psycho

Yes you can replace the lifters without removing the intake , do not Ever overtighten the rocker shafts it can total the engine , 17 ft lbs seems right locktite hurts nothing .
However if the lifter is going away usually the cam is toast , usually you can see a single path on the bottom of the lifter meaning it is not rotating properly , I would not change all of the lifters if you find the bad one you can replace that lifter , why change a lifter that is working properly .

Jim AAR

Well this is weird,  my Chilton's book says 210 inch lbs (17.5 ft lbs), my direct connection racing manual says, 30 ft lbs and the Plymouth service manual says 210 in lbs. Hmmmm....

Scooter

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 04, 2020, 05:14:15 PM
Yes you can replace the lifters without removing the intake , do not Ever overtighten the rocker shafts it can total the engine , 17 ft lbs seems right locktite hurts nothing .
However if the lifter is going away usually the cam is toast , usually you can see a single path on the bottom of the lifter meaning it is not rotating properly , I would not change all of the lifters if you find the bad one you can replace that lifter , why change a lifter that is working properly .

Roger that on the rocker shaft bolts.

Already fished out both #3 lifters with a magnet on a stick... no unusual wear pattern. Think it was just marginal.. not full failure.

As far as the complete swap vs. just the two... mulled that for some time before ordering the full set.

Believe you me I'm not about doing unnecessary tear down. I'm still needing to replace the rear main. 

I don't want to have to open it up twice... no way I miss the misbehaving lifter this way.

The delta between doing 2 vs. the full set was less than $100.

Thanks for the replies.   :twothumbsup:

Chryco Psycho

You torque the rocker shaft bolts to 30 ft lbs & 2 thing will happen 1 you will crush the rocker shaft & can sieze a rockers & 2 a 5/16 course thread bolt will be close to failure or be broken . Iirc the big block with 3/8 bolts is only 25 ft lbs .

Only tq to 17 ft lbs max !!

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Jim AAR on September 04, 2020, 05:34:08 PM
Well this is weird,  my Chilton's book says 210 inch lbs (17.5 ft lbs), my direct connection racing manual says, 30 ft lbs and the Plymouth service manual says 210 in lbs. Hmmmm....

Do not use 30ft-lb. I found that number recently as well and had a pucker moment when the bolt got loose as I tightened it.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Jim AAR

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on September 04, 2020, 07:50:01 PM
Quote from: Jim AAR on September 04, 2020, 05:34:08 PM
I agree, I did the same thing as I had it apart for an inspection I tightened them to 30, never felt anything loosen, but I did back them out and retorqued them to 17.5. At least I never started it up.

Do not use 30ft-lb. I found that number recently as well and had a pucker moment when the bolt got loose as I tightened it.

Chryco Psycho

OK but did you check the shafts to be sure they were still round & not ovaled  ,  I have seen engines that were damaged from this , the factory hyd rockers are immune as they have a larger hole around the shaft  but any of the bushed rockers that are tight on the rocker shaft can heat up & seize on an oval shaft this can cause the rocker to seize in place leaving the valve wide open , the piston then hits the valve a few time until it breaks off , causing the piston to fail which caused the con rod to break everything in a circular path leaving you not much more than & intake & carb that are any good .
So be careful !!

Scooter

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 05, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
OK but did you check the shafts to be sure they were still round & not ovaled  ,  I have seen engines that were damaged from this , the factory hyd rockers are immune as they have a larger hole around the shaft  but any of the bushed rockers that are tight on the rocker shaft can heat up & seize on an oval shaft this can cause the rocker to seize in place leaving the valve wide open , the piston then hits the valve a few time until it breaks off , causing the piston to fail which caused the con rod to break everything in a circular path leaving you not much more than & intake & carb that are any good .
So be careful !!

Roger that.

Factory rockers so I'm probably fine.

Going to give the entire valvetrain a once over anyway while I have them out.

3 day weekend was supposed to be a busy get stuff done on car "fest"... now I'm stuck waiting for parts.

Scooter

All 16 lifers done  :D.

Did not even use the lifter tool... magnet on a stick, flashlight and a long screwdriver.

Back 2 on both sides were the hardest #4 & #8.

Lifter tap is all gone now, very happy with results.

Push rods all looked good.. none bent or knackered up tips.

The old lifters did not show any odd wear pattern on the flats.

Might be placebo but it seems to idle a lot better now.

Added a bottle of Lucas engine break in to the oil for good measure. 

Going to put a few hundred miles on it before I drop the pan and replace the rear main oil seal.

When I put oil back in it I'm switching to Mobil 1 synthetic with another WIX filter. 

Thanks for al the feedback all.

-scoot

Chryco Psycho