Main Menu

HOW IMPORTANT IS THE PCV VALVE ON MY 1970 318LA?

Started by temsinc, July 12, 2019, 06:51:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

temsinc

The PCV valve on the valve cover on my 318 is not in play. I'm running 340/360 Eddie aluminum heads, air gap intake, Eddie 650cfm carb. The valve was never in play when I purchased the car. If I do not need it, can it be removed and that open port plugged or try and put another breather on that side? The valve itself is a real bitch to try and remove, I recall there is a lock pin on the valve cover that has a good strangle hold on the bottom of the valve. Anyways, your input is much appreciated.

Darcy

HP2

That's not a pcv valve. Its simply a breather that appears to be taped off to avoid blowing oil out of it.

I'd recommend removing it, installing a grommet that allows you to install a pvc, and then route the hose to the associated port on the intake or carb.

70chall440

The engine needs to breath. A PCV allows the engine to recirculate gases where as the breather who have shown is passive and allows pressure to escape, the taped up nipple would normally have a hose going to the air cleaner where air being drawn into the carb can pull crankcase vapors back into the engine to be reburned,

You can run a simple breather that vents to the atmosphere (your engine compartment), I would recommend running one on both sides, or you can run a catch system that includes a catch car and is connected to both banks.

Bottom-line is that you need ventilation at a minimum. 
Mopar or no car!!!

temsinc

Just to confirm, I could pull the vent and replace it with a breather similar to the K&N breather on the drivers side? Will this suffice? Or, do you recommend what HP2 advices to install a PVC valve and run it to the carb or intake? I am trying to research where to install or run the hose from the PVC to the 650 Thunder Series carb... :notsure:.

The only thing I don't like about the breather on the drivers side is that I get a bit of oil that occasionally drips down from it onto the header and plug wires...oh, and the crank case gases, which I think smells like the best cologne on the market lol.... :haha:

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

temsinc

Burdar

QuoteI am trying to research where to install or run the hose from the PVC to the 650 Thunder Series carb...

There should be a large nipple on the front side of the carb.  That's where the PCV hose should run to.

temsinc

Would it be the port that the arrow is pointing to in the pic?

Strawdawg

Steve

Topcat

As an option:     :idea:

There are numerous PCV oil catch cans available.

Basically an oil separator just like what a compressor uses for air tools.

Check out Jegs or Summit for these if you want to consider adding one.