Main Menu

ITS ALIVE!!!!!

Started by Cudajason, October 06, 2020, 06:24:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

sort of.

I fired up the cuda tonight and got it out in the sun for the first time in a full year. 

With a bit of trepidation, I figured tonight was as good as any to see if the trans rebuild (A500) was a success.

Well it backed out out of the garage ok, so that was good.  Rolled forward too, again good.  Let it idle for a min or so and checked the trans fluid...quart low.  Filled it up and back it our on the road and around the block I went.  The old girl rolled on just fine.

Pulled it into low at the first stop sign and she lit the tires up with just a blip of the throttle :woohoo: :woohoo:  Maybe that lower first gear in the A500 WILL make a difference.

Pulled it out to the main road and decided to get on it in L from a bit of a roll....an then it started.

As I get on it, something started banging around.  it sounds like its external.  Like some thing is banging as it spins around.  Not constant. 

I am using combination ujoints and the grease fittings are on one of the end caps.  The ujoint at the slip yoke, was really tight to the exhaust, I actually had to twist it down so it would clear.  The rear looked fine.

I wonder if that is hitting the exhaust as roll on the throttle I get on it and hitting the exhaust.  That should be pretty easy to see....should be witness marks.  I am not sure what else it could really be, but if you guys have any other ideas on what to look for that would be cool.  It only started banging as I brought the revs up.

The only other thing I though of was I screwed up the drive shaft measurements, and the slip yoke is not far enough in the trans (see pic below).  But that should not cause the banging noise, just vibration. Same with the drive line angles...should not cause a banging noise

When the noise started there was no power loss, I got off it pretty quick when it started making the noise, but it felt like it wanted to GO!!

OH by the way @BIGSHCLUNK and @Jay Bee I think the new trans solved my issue from last year.  no slipping or chugging felling as a cruised gently around the block.

I will get it back up

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Scooter

That will keep you motivated till it's driving right...  :twothumbsup:

Topcat

My resonators and mufflers live again.   :D

Brads70

Great to hear it runs good. Now to figure out what's rubbing?  :bravo:

Chryco Psycho

:banana: :banana: :banana:
It was not happy last year for sure !
What about the diff the tq will cause the pinon to climb the ring gear & if the springs are soft it could be a bad angle on the rear ujoint making noise ?

Cudajason

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 06, 2020, 08:25:45 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana:
It was not happy last year for sure !
What about the diff the tq will cause the pinon to climb the ring gear & if the springs are soft it could be a bad angle on the rear ujoint making noise ?

I was thinking that would cause a vibration and not a banging sound.

I still think the engine / trans angle is to low, see the pic below for how the engine sits. I will double check the engine and pinion angle this weekend.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

The engine appears to be in upside down  :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Still worth a look. Might be hard to see with the driveshaft in place, inspection mirrors could help. Does it only happen when you "get on it".

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on October 07, 2020, 05:23:05 AM
The engine appears to be in upside down  :rubeyes:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

pictures are not my strong suit around here.

BIGSHCLUNK

Glad to see it lives !  :burnout:   Hope your issue is a minor one

Cudajason

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 07, 2020, 06:02:30 AM

Still worth a look. Might be hard to see with the driveshaft in place, inspection mirrors could help. Does it only happen when you "get on it".

yes, only makes noise when I get on it.  Rolling along at light throttle / idle it was fine.

I will crawl under it on the weekend and see if I can find any marks.

blown motor

:popcorn: Hopefully it's something minor. If it's anything external there should be evidence. Good luck finding it.

Every time I see your car or a picture of it I think "that car is so cool!"
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on October 07, 2020, 09:23:25 AM
:popcorn: Hopefully it's something minor. If it's anything external there should be evidence. Good luck finding it.

Every time is so your car or a picture of it I think "that car car is so cool!"

Yeah fingers crossed it is an easy fix.

Thanks for the comment man...hopefully we can all get together soon.

Jason

jimynick

Jas, what is the frequency of that noise? Is it engine speed? Does it change as the trans goes up through the gears? Will it do it in reverse? Just a few pensees.  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on October 07, 2020, 09:21:46 PM
Jas, what is the frequency of that noise? Is it engine speed? Does it change as the trans goes up through the gears? Will it do it in reverse? Just a few pensees.  :alan2cents:

@jimynick, it is not constant.  I did not hear anything while in reverse backing out of the garage, or while taking off gently.  I only hear it twice fro a few seconds as I got into the throttle, no more than half throttle.

First, while I was taking of from idle (had to see how it felt), then while rolling I got on it a second time.  I did not go through the gears while on the throttle.  I got off it pretty quickly.

Going down the road with very light throttle it was fine, no noise all the way through 3rd gear.