Main Menu

Non Mopar - Question from a coworker

Started by ChallengerHK, April 24, 2017, 05:31:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ChallengerHK

A guy I work with had an issue with his car over the weekend. Sounds to me like a timing belt problem, and the shop he took it to says the same thing. Here's the odd part, though: they told him that they think the core issue was that he needs to change his oil, and that's what caused the belt to act up. I can't fathom the situation in which oil would cause a timing belt failure. Am I missing something about newer cars?

soundcontrol

Sound like a strange answer. I agree that general negligence of the engine causes more wear and tear overall, but I can't see a direct connection to the timing belt.

ChallengerHK

Unless the motor were on the verge of failure from lack of lubrication, I can't even see old oil allowing enough additional frictional to significantly affect rotation.

Cuda Cody

Doesn't seem to add up, but I'm not really very experienced with timing belts.   :notsure:

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

XeGnome

Sadly ... some timing belts are 'plastic'.  :barf:    That may be what the mechanic was referring to  :dunno:

RUNCHARGER

Core issue? Nah, you don't want to get oil on your timing belt though so Oil LEAKS could be a core issue.
Sheldon

turbostang7

newer cars usually have a tensioner that is hydraulically controlled by the oil, if the oil isn't changed regularly it gums up and will ruin a belt.

Marc70challenger

Quote from: turbostang7 on April 24, 2017, 09:17:34 AM
newer cars usually have a tensioner that is hydraulically controlled by the oil, if the oil isn't changed regularly it gums up and will ruin a belt.

And we learn something everyday.  :bradsthumb:

HP_Cuda

:iagree:

60k and done.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

Exactly there is a hydraulic tensioner on some cars , dirty oil will lead to problems, modern engines are much different ,you need to follow weights & change intervals , Ihave herd some Ford engines will fill if the oil weight is too high as it will not feed through small passages properly heard something similar about subaru too , turbos are sensitive too as they rely on engine oil as well