Main Menu

Off the shelf spal fan/fans for 22" radiator?? Which one

Started by Crash520, August 19, 2017, 02:41:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crash520

Hi Guys, I know this has been beaten to death over the years but can I ask if there is a known off the shelf spal fan set up that will bolt to a 22" radiator please, ford, Benz etc, I didn't want to go down this path however it's looking like I may need to. I know there are a lot more for a 26" radiator but that's not an option available to me.
Thanks in anticipation

G
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Cuda Cody

Not sure about the mounting, but when I was building a run stand I went to my local parts supplier with the inlet and outlet opening sizes (along with the location top and bottom / left and right sides) and we flipped through the radiator spec book and found several Ford radiators that were the exact same specs.  I bought a brand new Ford radiator that I mounted to my run stand for about $130 bucks.  That was a few years back, but the same specs in a Mopar one was way more money.  Unlike my run stand where I was building from scratch, I'm guessing the mounting might be the issue with your situation.

cudabob496

its easy to make alum brackets and mount any electric fan.
But electric fans on a copper-brass radiator cool very poorly.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Crash520

Thanks Guys, I have a champion alloy radiator, Cody great idea however going to a local auto parts store here would be like going to Hobbylobby and asking the same question :rofl:
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Crash520

And all of the auto wreckers have vanished as well, so I can't even stroll through to find a suitable candidate ::)
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Brads70

I bought mine from these people one year at Carlisle. Great product and they move a ton of air!
Be warned you will need to upgrade your alternator!
http://rainbowproductsonline.com/new-products.php

cudabob496

got a 16 inch electric from Summit for about $90.
draws 10 amps
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Roadman

Hey @cudabob496  welcome aboard    :welcome:  Glad you joined us.   :rebelflag"

cudabob496

I'm sure the fan above from Carlisle works great, but with the fan off,
that style seems to block some airflow.  I usually only have to turn on my
electric when at a stop light.  Otherwise, most all of the radiator is seeing
full air flow when cruising.

Brads70

Quote from: cudabob496 on August 19, 2017, 05:19:24 PM
I'm sure the fan above from Carlisle works great, but with the fan off,
that style seems to block some airflow.  I usually only have to turn on my
electric when at a stop light.  Otherwise, most all of the radiator is seeing
full air flow when cruising.

I also have a pusher fan in front of the rad. I control them both with the Dakota digital controller. Works great you can program what temperature they come on and shut off at. When I'm on the open road they shut off.  Works great!
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dak-pac-2750/overview/

cudabob496

I gotta think about this, but if I have a sucker fan at 2000 cfm,
and a pusher at 1000cfm, do I get 3000 cfm total? 

Cuda Cody

:huh:  Good question...  it's over my head in terms of what I know.  My gut tells me it better to have both, but probably not a simple add them together to get the total CFM.   :notsure:

Quote from: cudabob496 on August 19, 2017, 06:45:38 PM
I gotta think about this, but if I have a sucker fan at 2000 cfm,
and a pusher at 1000cfm, do I get 3000 cfm total?

cudabob496

gonna put a 10 inch pusher in front, and see if I notice a difference
when using my 16 inch puller.  The 10 inch will obviously block some air
going into the radiator, when cruising. My 16 inch is 2000 cfm. The 10 inch is
750cfm, and 6.5 more amps. Will report back the results. (gotta go 10 in
as I have a tranny cooler up front too)

Crash520

Quote from: Brads70 on August 19, 2017, 03:42:46 PM
I bought mine from these people one year at Carlisle. Great product and they move a ton of air!
Be warned you will need to upgrade your alternator!
http://rainbowproductsonline.com/new-products.php
Thanks Brad, I looked at those in the link you previously sent me but from memory the size was going to be an issue with a 22" rad :(
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

nsmall

I bought a 16 inch fan made by Spal that had straight blades.  I bought it because it was only 2.5 inches wide but unfortunately it was extremely loud.  I had to remove it because I couldn't bear the sound. I bought a curved blade fan and I can show you pictures. It's three inches wide and much quieter and keeps the car cool.  Do you have an aftermarket radiator?  I have a large aluminum 22 inch radiator that doesn't leave much room for a fan.  MAKE SURE YOUR FAN HAS CURVED BLADES!!!

The Spal fan worked great, it was embarrassingly loud.  Let me know if you want pics.  Good luck.