Main Menu

Off the shelf spal fan/fans for 22" radiator?? Which one

Started by Crash520, August 19, 2017, 02:41:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: Crash520 on August 19, 2017, 10:39:44 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on August 19, 2017, 03:42:46 PM
I bought mine from these people one year at Carlisle. Great product and they move a ton of air!
Be warned you will need to upgrade your alternator!
http://rainbowproductsonline.com/new-products.php
Thanks Brad, I looked at those in the link you previously sent me but from memory the size was going to be an issue with a 22" rad :(

What's the core size? 22 x? You can trim those shrouds to fit.

HP2

Quote from: cudabob496 on August 19, 2017, 06:45:38 PM
I gotta think about this, but if I have a sucker fan at 2000 cfm,
and a pusher at 1000cfm, do I get 3000 cfm total?

Sure. Just like the 20 horse carb + the 30 horse manifold + 20 horse headers + 20 horse ignition + 5 horse filter + 5 horse electric fan = 100 horsepower gain.

In reality, things like that aren't linear and have diminishing returns.

CudaMoparRay

Electric fans are obviously the modern choice but a 7 blade clutch fan in my opinion will at least in our cars cool just as well or better.

cudabob496

oh ya, any clutch fan driven off the motor will cool better.
And a clutch fan is almost a necessity for a copper-brass radiator.
I just went to an alum rad and electric fan to shed weight and gain
some hp by ditching the clutch fan.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cudabob496

dang, mounted the pusher fan, then found out you don't just reverse the power leads,
you have to remove blades off motor shaft, and reverse them also. Lesson learned, read
instructions.

Otherwise, you may not be getting the pusher flow you think.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Crash520

I currently run a clutch fan and like it so maybe all I need is to add a pusher fan for low speed traffic and sitting in the staging lane
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

cudabob496

Quote from: Crash520 on August 21, 2017, 03:25:45 PM
I currently run a clutch fan and like it so maybe all I need is to add a pusher fan for low speed traffic and sitting in the staging lane

fans and water pump are a lot more efficient with a higher idle speed. I run about 1200 to 1400.

Cudajason

@Crash520, so what is the issue you are trying to solve.  I ask, because I think there are different solutions to fix different problems.

If your issues is overheating at idle, my guess is you existing fan is not sufficient and a pusher MAY help.

If your issue is overheating at cruising or highway speed, I don't think that an additional fan will help, the issue may be something else entirely.

That is what I have read and experienced anyway.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: cudabob496 on August 21, 2017, 05:16:11 PM

fans and water pump are a lot more efficient with a higher idle speed. I run about 1200 to 1400.

WOW is that on a street car...auto or manual trans???
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

cudabob496

my 496 is very happy at 1200 to 1400 rpm, due to the solid roller
having a duration at .050 of 254/258 degrees.  And, as mentioned,
the water pump pumps better at a higher idle. And, the alternator
puts out more juice at a higher idle. I really see nothing gained at very
low idles. Also, makes me quicker off the line, since I have a 3500 stall.
Dave Vizards Holley Tuning book says big cam engines will need at least
1000 rpm idle speed.

cudabob496

Quote from: Cudajason on August 21, 2017, 05:56:11 PM

@Crash520, so what is the issue you are trying to solve.  I ask, because I think there are different solutions to fix different problems.

If your issues is overheating at idle, my guess is you existing fan is not sufficient and a pusher MAY help.

If your issue is overheating at cruising or highway speed, I don't think that an additional fan will help, the issue may be something else entirely.

That is what I have read and experienced anyway.

Jason

I think overheating at idle could be caused by many things, other than just the fan.

cudabob496

I have the large like new 5 blade clutch fan I no longer use.
Not sure what a used one is worth, but I don't need it anymore.

HP2

Depending on the source, ditching a direct drive fan for an electric can free up 5-10 hp. If you drive a 150hp four banger, this is a change that will make a difference. If you have a 500 hp big block, you probably won't even notice the change and unless you are a class racer chasing the last .001 advantage, is a moot point for nearly any one else.

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: HP2 on August 23, 2017, 06:23:44 AM
Depending on the source, ditching a direct drive fan for an electric can free up 5-10 hp. If you drive a 150hp four banger, this is a change that will make a difference. If you have a 500 hp big block, you probably won't even notice the change and unless you are a class racer chasing the last .001 advantage, is a moot point for nearly any one else.

That seems to be true when all is taken into account.

Burdar

The Ford Taurus fans are popular on A-bodies with 22" radiators.  I bought one for $20 at a junk yard to test fit.  For some reason(the combination of parts I'm using on my Dart) there wasn't enough room to use it.  It should fit an E-body easily.  Check them out on RockAuto.  They have all the dimensions.  Look up the fan for a 95 3.8L V6 Taurus.