Main Menu

Oil pan leak-which gasket is best?

Started by Jsand73440, November 15, 2022, 01:42:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jsand73440

I'm struggling to get my oil pan to stop leaking. I have the nine out of the car right now, and i went through it and changed gaskets, painted it and dressed it up a bit. I filled the engine with oil in order to prime the pump and the lubrication channels, as the engine had sat for a while. I used 2 of the rubber style gaskets, on below the shield and one above it. Should i have used cork and or some rtv? Any ideas what you all recommend? I want to get it done right before i have to re-install the motor. My car comes back from paint in the next week or so.

Jsand73440

Sorry i meant windage tray, rather than shield.

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

blown motor

Quote from: dodj on November 15, 2022, 02:00:02 PM
Guessing you have a 440
I like these
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2339

I know a lot of guys have used those. I've tried two of them. Can't get a seal.  :headbang:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

B5fourspeed

On my 440 with a windage tray I used a cork gasket with the black rtv sealant.Light coats on all side.No leaks so far.Make sure your oil pan ends are not bent.On my last car with a 440 I pull the pan 4 times to try a stop the leaks.Come to find out the brand new oil pan was bent on the front corner.

RacerX

Quote from: blown motor on November 15, 2022, 02:56:22 PM
Quote from: dodj on November 15, 2022, 02:00:02 PM
Guessing you have a 440
I like these
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2339

I know a lot of guys have used those. I've tried two of them. Can't get a seal.  :headbang:

Success with these depends greatly on the oil pan used...   it only works with a flat flange
oil pan...  no stiffening dimples.    Some OEM Chrysler pans were flat some were not.

Not sure what pan you have tried it with so maybe you had flat flange and just had bad
luck, but the dimpled pans are pretty much guaranteed to not seal 100%

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jsand73440