Main Menu

Oil pan gasket

Started by chal340, September 01, 2017, 05:46:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chal340

What do you use as oïl pan gasket for small block and what kind of RTV do you use.
I bought Milodon, Mopar performance, put loctit RTV and I have again leak on the rear. :pullinghair:

70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

Cuda Cody

Double check to see if the pan lines up well with the block and also put a straight edge on the lip of the oil pan.  Sometimes they can get a little bent with they have been over tightened.

Burdar

Are you sure it's the pan gasket?  The rear main seal can easily be installed wrong and cause a leak.  The lip of the seal goes towards the front(towards the oil)  You can also get a leak between the rear main cap and the block.

Chryco Psycho

Small blocks are tough to seal in the car , I use Right Stuff sealer & glue the seals & gaskets to the pan first & let it dry for 15 mins or so then seal the other side & lift it into place & tighten the pan up gently
Check the oil sender at the rear of the block for a leak there , I changed to oil oan & rear seal 7 times & it still leaked & sold the car because of the problem , later the new owner told me the fitting was split where the oil gauge connected beside the dist  :bricks:

chal340

Quote from: Burdar on September 01, 2017, 07:48:18 AM
Are you sure it's the pan gasket?  The rear main seal can easily be installed wrong and cause a leak.  The lip of the seal goes towards the front(towards the oil)  You can also get a leak between the rear main cap and the block.

I'm sure. In fact after I rebuild the engine I drove around 300 miles and first leaks arrived.
I took apart oil pan, clean all, put a new gasket with black loctite and after 300 miles, new leaks. :(

I found and bought Permatex right stuff. I will receive it at the end of this month.
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

Bullitt-

Had a bad oil leak on my 340 once.. a "Professional Mechanic" told me it was the rear main seal.
I couldn't afford to pay to have it fixed so I decided to do it myself...Well before I started I wanted to see the leak so I cleaned everything real well & put the front end up on ramps then started the car & laid underneath.... I saw a river of oil coming down the side of the block next to the bell housing.
Traced the leak to the rear of the intake manifold ... new gasket & some RTV solved the issue. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Shane Kelley

I fight leaks on small block oil pans myself. I'm getting a couple drips on my Cuda with a Milodon pan also. I sealed everything up when it was on the engine stand and sat dry for 2 years. You would think there is no way that's going to leak. But there it is.

I had transmission issues on my Road Runner with a 340. It had a nasty oil pan leak with a stock pan. Took it to this old school Mopar mechanic and I had him change the pan gasket while the tranny was out. He didn't don't even use any sealer except the corners. Damn thing don't even have any seeps or damp spots now. Perfectly dry. Blows my mind.