Main Menu

Problems with 440 Source Stroker kit.

Started by usraptor, February 22, 2019, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 24, 2019, 08:31:32 PM
Aonther possibility as a long shot but the bores could be too thin in the cylinder wall , & the block is distorting at .55 overbore

Chryco, the bore on my block is only .030 over.

headejm

Quote from: 303 Mopar on February 23, 2019, 05:40:56 AM
If you are having a professional build your engine, maybe he should provide the parts he thinks are best and therefore is accountable if it goes south again. One of the issues I see is people go to a professional, bring their own parts and tell the guy to build it. Then when issues arise the builder blames the parts you bought.

:iagree: I speced out my camshaft but let my builder pick out the pistons. Since he was rebuilding the stock rods, and balancing everything, I let him choose and source the pistons. If there is a skirt clearance problem with your engine, the builder is responsible to catch that.  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

Sorry , I guess I knew that , 512 is .055 over , at .030 over I think it works out about 508 ci

HP_Cuda

I have heard of builders have issues with their C10 which did not prove to provide the perfect bore you would expect. I have no idea on gods green earth this can happen but apparently it can. Imagine an oblong bore.

This seems more likely because it was more than one piston.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

usraptor

Per my builders measurements of the pistons, if anything was oblong it was the pistons, not the cylinder bores.

JonH

Quote from: usraptor on February 26, 2019, 05:41:18 PM
Per my builders measurements of the pistons, if anything was oblong it was the pistons, not the cylinder bores.

Sorry you are having this problem. But what else is he going to tell you? Obviously it could be the pistons, but all eight? Anyway hope you get it figured out and back together so it runs well. Good luck!

usraptor

We ordered new Diamond custom pistons today.  Should be here in about two weeks.  :banana:

HP_Cuda

When the pistons arrive have your guy (or you) measure them and the block before preforming any work.

:twothumbsup:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Topcat

Quote from: usraptor on February 27, 2019, 05:34:21 PM
We ordered new Diamond custom pistons today.  Should be here in about two weeks.  :banana:

Great choice.   :slapme5:

Some get the teflon coating option on the skirts as well.

Angie at Mopar Engines West offered it to me.

dodj

Quote from: usraptor on February 26, 2019, 05:41:18 PM
Be pretty easy to measure and see which is out of round now that the engine is apart, no?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill