Main Menu

Rear end installation

Started by Mopar5, April 29, 2020, 09:35:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

Hello Im looking for some advice, I am done with the rebuild of my differential and rear axle. I have new leaf springs and hardware. I am getting ready to install everything. I may be working by myself if I don't have someone to help. My question is. Is it possible to assemble the axle and springs together and install the whole assembly. Or is it better to put the springs in first and lower the axle onto the springs? Thanks in advance.

GoodysGotaCuda

When I did it by myself, I decided to do the springs first and then set the axle. I found it to be easier to manage that way, though jacking up and rolling a diff around can be a bit wobbly.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

Personally I think it's easier to handle as three sperate part (2) springs (1) rear end assembly. I think if you put it altogether as one, you would most likely have to leave the U Bolts somewhat loose so the set-up can "square" itself once installed and I think it would be quite the fight to do by yourself.

I have one of those stools with wheels on it, I use that to roll the complete rear axle assembly under the raised car. Then I take one leaf spring, bolt it in place at the front and rear, Set the rear end down on it, hook up the U Bolts (tighten later)....then move to the other side...Hook up the spring at the front...if I can't get the rear hooked up, then I jack up on the rear axle until I can...the other side holds it in place, remove the stool and tighten everything up....I work alone, with no fancy hoist, so I've developed this way of doing it and it works great for me. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

I have done it 3 ways , as one unit you just need to get the front springs eyes into place , I would leave the U bolts loose to do this & then jack up the diff & connect the rear shackles , very easy to do!,
If you hang the springs first I would only connect the front spring eyes then set the diff onto the springs with the U bolts & lift the rear into place .
The hardest way to do it is to connect the springs front & rear & try to lift the diff over the springs

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 29, 2020, 09:55:15 AM
The hardest way to do it is to connect the springs front & rear & try to lift the diff over the springs

Yup :iagree: busted a nut trying to do it that way, never again  :drunk:

I also see a lot of people also just build the rear axle assembly in the car....install just the housing on the springs first.....but it sounds like you're past that point. :twothumbsup:

I have them 100% complete with all the brakes etc...when I install them... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Rich G.

I've never assembled the rear and springs together. But I have put the springs and rear in separately many times alone. It's a lot easier if you have one person steer the rear in while the other person works the floor jack under the rear. 

Mopar5

Thanks everyone for the replies much appreciated. Mike

RUNCHARGER

Hook the front of the springs, Roll rear axle into place, mostly tighten u-bolts, jack under housing to raise it up then tighten it all. You won't get hurt or damage parts doing it this way.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 29, 2020, 06:55:44 PM
Hook the front of the springs, Roll rear axle into place, mostly tighten u-bolts, jack under housing to raise it up then tighten it all. You won't get hurt or damage parts doing it this way.
I've only done it a couple times, but this is what I did.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Mrbill426

On this subject are the front spring eye bolts installed with the nuts inboard or outboard, and same question with the rear shackle pin nuts; inboard or outboard?
As the u-bolts nuts are tightened down do the springs align to a preset position to the perches? 

Thanks

:wrenching:

anlauto

The nuts at the front and rear are always outboard on the cars I've taken apart. The guide pins on the springs should center the rear axle.

As a side note: The large bolt running through the front spring bushing should be tightened when the spring in under a load. The car sitting on it's wheels, or axle stands under the rear axle supporting the whole car :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

Thank you  :bigthumb:

Quote from: anlauto on April 30, 2020, 08:55:18 AM
The nuts at the front and rear are always outboard on the cars I've taken apart. The guide pins on the springs should center the rear axle.

As a side note: The large bolt running through the front spring bushing should be tightened when the spring in under a load. The car sitting on it's wheels, or axle stands under the rear axle supporting the whole car :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

Coat the bolts with anti seize when you install them so they will not seize in the bushings

Mrbill426

Good point :bigthumb:
Anyone know of a source for that 5/8" marsden nuts that go through the front spring eyes?  I don't need the bolts just the nuts;  I have checked local hardware outlets but nothing. :dunno:

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 30, 2020, 09:56:15 AM
Coat the bolts with anti seize when you install them so they will not seize in the bushings

Chryco Psycho

Cant help sorry , but you could try Dave @ Roseville