Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Try some drain cleaner like Mr Plumber. We've used it to get the carriers off Trailblazer oil pans. That aluminum gets welded at times

Cudajason

Sigh...crazy week at work and have not had time to touch anything until today, other then a few hits of PB Blaster on the stuck screws.

A special thanks to @jimynick for the offer on the impact driver.

However I got lucky tonight. I hit the case with some heat (propane torch). I striped one screw but one was still good and I managed to get the good one out!!! 

The striped one got some heat too but was bad enough it would not spin. But it was stuck the steel plate and the screw spin about a quarter turn before coming loose from the plate. I had just enough space to get some vice grips on it and spin her out!!!! 

LUCKY ME!!!

I hope I get that lucky with the speedo bolt!

Got the innards out of the OD housing and ready for the next steps!

I plan on fitting the empty case into the car and fabing up a trans crossmember over the next little bit (once I drop the 727) then rebuild everything.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jimynick

In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

YellowThumper

Good call on the mockup while it is gutless.
Hope the fab is straight forward.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

jimynick

Jason, I've had pretty good luck migging a nut onto the broken off bolt and the heat seems to loosen it and the nut allows you to drive it out. If you don't come up with any other method, bring the case over to the house and we'll give 'er a go.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Made some good progress today.

Have the 727 almost ready to drop out.

Dropped the pan drained the fluid and disconnected all the wiring etc.

Just have to unbolt the trans and torque converter and the cross member.

I am trying not the drop the exhaust, but we'll see if that works.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

chargerdon

OMG...  That is an unbelievable amount of metal filings...that in your 727 ?   

Regarding the header pipes...  i swapped out my transmission without taking them off....tight fit but it fit in..   Hope you have a transmission jack...   

Cudajason

Quote from: chargerdon on February 02, 2020, 05:38:30 AM
OMG...  That is an unbelievable amount of metal filings...that in your 727 ?   

Regarding the header pipes...  i swapped out my transmission without taking them off....tight fit but it fit in..   Hope you have a transmission jack...

No headers to worry about, I am running manifolds.

I will give it a go and see what happens.

Yep have a trans jack. .

1 Wild R/T

As Charger Don indicated, you likely have a failed planetary...  Good thing thats the one coming out, not the one going in...

BIGSHCLUNK

Like I mentioned in your other thread, "hard part" issues....

Cudajason

Dropped the 727 today. Lots of fun!

Looks like I have a bit of clean up to do on the trans tunnel. Not sure what the two holes are from!!!

Looks like no leaks in the back of the engine!

Next weekend I plan to hang the A500 case on the engine and fit everything up!!

Jason

YellowThumper

Very cool!
Good luck the fab ends up simple enough.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

1 Wild R/T

Your car had a under dash A/C.... Those holes were for condensate drain tubes.... Typically rather then drilling the holes installer use a hammer & a long sharp punch to poke the holes...

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 09, 2020, 10:52:36 PM
Your car had a under dash A/C.... Those holes were for condensate drain tubes.... Typically rather then drilling the holes installer use a hammer & a long sharp punch to poke the holes...

Hmmmmm, interesting.  I could see that.  I am just going to seal them up for now.  I fix them properly once the car comes apart for a full resto!

Jason

chargerdon

Your getting there...   PS... i fabbed my own new rear crossmember tranny mount.   I used 12 gauge steel.   lots of fun...