Main Menu

shaker bubble clearance

Started by moparx5, September 27, 2020, 04:40:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparx5

after a long day of work and some thinking, if anyone has a six pack base off there car and could measure with the base upside down as pictured to  to the top of the flange that sits on the carb , mine is 1 1/4''  ( i hate when i get a pic of a measurement  and not the measurement ) the level is sitting on top of the lip , trying to figure out if the base is deformed , it was not sitting flat on all three carbs before i discovered the bubble issue and had the knock it around a little , 1/8  of a  to correct.

i shimmed between air cleaner base and adapter ring with some 1/4'' aluminum in 4 spots , bubble sat down prefect with all cold air door and air cleaner in place , hood shut fine , plenty of room,  my plan is to just fab a spacer ring full circle on air cleaner base , install longer studs and be done with it ,

i guess on the good side i gained 10 cubic inches of air volume in the bubble to feed the beast,,,,  lol that's a joke !!!!

anlauto

I think the main problem is the Bubble NOT the base...Who's reproduction is that ?

Look at the thickness around the grill ....compared to an original I have sitting on my shelf... :o
The grills appear too low and too far back in the bubble in my opinion.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparx5

snobar  but i dont think i will get a refund from him
i think the spacer is the cheapest way out , not that im a cheap person but for the sake of making a simple shim ring it's probably my best option
def a difference in appearance but to the naked eye im sure its fine
have the orig hood if the new owner chooses to go back

moparx5

hopefully this little issue is resolved , maybe that  all will find its way to another unfortunate bubble owner
plasma cut an 1/8 steel template to transfer to the aluminum  because the torch adds or removes 1/4'' of material depending if you inside or outside, wont bore you with all the steps, never the less it  came out good , just gonna clean it up a little after all bolted down and lined up it  could use a little trimming

thanks Alan and Chryco !!!!!!!!
good eye from just  the pictures

on to my next punch list item